Thursday, May 14, 2009

Game 7

Tonight will decide the fate of two hockey teams. (Well, actually FOUR, but I'm most concerned with two.) Game 7 is going to be played between the Clucks and Wings--one team will go on to try and win the ultimate prize, the other will be cleaning out lockers and go home for the summer. At this point, I'm in the depths of despair and pretty sure the Wings will be the ones going home. And I'm okay with that. Well, I may not be OKAY, but I am accepting. I couldn't hate the Poultry more than I already do, so tonight's game won't be able to change that in any way. As for my disappointment in the Wings, what can I say.

This year did not turn out quite the way it was supposed to. On paper, the Wings had the best team assembled. For some reason or other, they didn't dominate the league like they could/should have. Was the inconsistency of the team due to the dread 'Stanley Cup hangover?' Who knows--it just happened. And I am ready to give up the possibility of a repeat Cup win. Hey, I've been disappointed so many times this year that it is getting old. I hate getting my hopes up and then being kicked in the stomach when they totally blow a game--as they did the last one. Maybe it would be best if I was put out of my misery and start waiting for next year.

As for next year: the team will be quite different than it is right now. If Hossa gets signed to a long-term contract, then many faces will be gone because of salary cap issues. Even if Hossa doesn't sign, there will be several players that won't be invited back and this will make room for some of the young guys from Grand Rapids. Next year will be interesting, for sure. Right now, three hours before game time, I am ready to give it up and say, "There's always next year."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...