Thursday, January 26, 2006

Lies, Lies, and More Lies

Well, I guess Oprah took her author, the "man who kept her awake all night," out back to the woodshed and gave him a whooping. Baaad move on your part, James Frey. You disappointed the great and powerful Oprah Winfrey. Now all her followers will look down on you with disdain for the rest of your life and your 15 minutes of fame are gone. Hope you invested the money you duped out of people well, because you ain't having lunch in this town ever again!

But, wait! Not everyone thinks Oprah is the second coming of Christ. There still are millions of people who will follow their own minds and do what they want WITHOUT Oprah's approval. Oh, oh. I am beginning to have a bad feeling about this. What do they say about ANY publicity--good OR bad--being a good thing? Sure enough. There it is in all its splendor--A Million Little Pieces is still a bestseller. Barnes & Noble has it at number 4, Amazon has it at number 5, and the New York Times has it at number 1. I am afraid this controversy is just going to make people want to read the book more. I wish he would just go away--but I'm not sure that is going to happen.

UPDATE: I wrote this about three hours ago and in that time the book has gone from number 5 to number 4 on Amazon's list. So, are my fears coming true?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...