Saturday, May 13, 2006

I Must Be Getting Better

So, here I sit eating popcorn and drinking Coke Zero--instead of downing shots of tequila. I surely MUST be getting better. Here's what happened:

This afternoon/evening, K and I had to head up north for his ex-brother-in-law's wake. His death was unexpected, but he went the way he wanted: quickly and painlessly. Anyway, we got up there and had to stop at a friend's greenhouse to pick up a mother's day gift for The Mother, then we went to C's to drop off her birthday gift and headed for The Parent's house. They weren't home, so we went to the funeral home. It wasn't a real somber affair, so we got to visit with people we haven't seen in years--actually some classmates of ours that we hadn't seen since graduation: a long, looooooong time ago! So, as far as wakes go, we had a (relatively) good time. Of course, The Parent's weren't home yet when we left the funeral home, so we went to K's sister's house, where everyone was going to go after the wake. We all ate--too much--and visited for awhile. One of the niece's lives in Phoenix, so it was nice to be able to catch up with her--don't get to see her nearly often enough. We had to bug out of there a bit early, as K has to work in the AM, so we made our way back to The Parent's.

When we got there they had company, but it was someone I have known my entire life, so there was no problem there. (Although, I think the woman is a bit cold to me--after all, it is my fault for what has happened. I'm not sure WHAT has happened, I just know it is my fault!) It was kind of a casual visit--not much conversation about anything too substantial. And it would have been okay if it would have been left like that, but noooooooo, The Mother just can't let well enough alone.

First of all, I now know what she is pissed about. (I have known she is pissed because I haven't heard from her since before the wedding--over six weeks ago.) We started talking about the party/reception that C is putting on for A in July, and The Mother told me--flat out--that I WILL be helping out with the party, because SHE is. Now, don't get me wrong, I AM going to do for the party. I already said I would buy the cake and I will make some food for it--I just am not in charge and don't feel as if I have to do a whole lot of work, considering it isn't my affair. I am having a party for A and her hubby in a week--I don't think I have to break my back when it comes to someone else's party! And I just want to sit and relax and enjoy the whole thing, not be stuck in the kitchen with the setting up, cleaning up, etc, and not even be appreciated or acknowledged for my effort! A and her husband would be grateful, but the rest of the bunch would act as if it was to be expected of me--and that I did nothing special. I know, cause it has happened many times before! K and I were going to have that be a weekend of enjoyment--our friends were going to be there and we were going to stay at the same hotel and visit and go to our old stomping grounds, etc--after all, we will all be back "home" together! Of course The Mother has to screw with my plans whenever she can. And this isn't even what got to me tonight!

The topper of the evening--and we were at their house 30-45 minutes, tops--was when she looked at me as if she didn't quite recognize my face. You know what I am talking about, when someone does a double-take, as if they don't believe what they are seeing. This happened just before we got ready to leave. Anyway, she looked at me as if there was something wrong and said, "Don't you wear contacts? Why aren't you wearing them?" Now, you have to understand, I WORE contacts almost 30 years ago, for about a year off-and-on. That is it--no more than that. And MY MOTHER acted as if she never saw me wearing glasses before tonight. I KNOW this is a little thing, but this is just a great illustration of what this woman is like--and why I wonder, many times, why I am not residing in that purple, padded room at the local hospital. And now you know why I must be getting better: because I AM NOT drinking shots of tequila as I sit here!

3 comments:

  1. I'd have been hitting the tequila...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I prefer vodka...

    She sounds like my mother-in-law.. Yeeesh.. My MIL is the reason in-laws should be outlawed..

    Good for you for sticking with coke!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:33 AM

    You know there is no pleasin' that woman. As far as the party-it is C's affair and you wouldn't think of interfering?! Right! So relax and enjoy, that is why C is doing it.

    Save that tequila for me! and Happy Mom's Day!

    Yoopergirl

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...