Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Worst Songs Revisited

I will now finish up the worst songs. I thought long and hard about it and finally came up with some I wish to nominate--but, first, some from my readers:

RT nominates "American Pie." I agree with what he said: I think we ALL know all of the words to the song--and not necessarily because we want to!

Yoopergirl chooses "Don't Worry, Be Happy." She also nominates "You Light Up My Life" and "Loving You." Don't worry about having "You Light Up My Life" as one of your wedding songs, yooper, the theme to my wedding was "We've Only Just Begun"--you know, the Carpenters!

LZ Blogger has a hate going for "Purple People Eater." Were there EVER any novelty songs that were any good? I couldn't abide "My Ding-a-ling!"

Doug: I guess "You Light Up My Life" might not have been as bad if it wasn't overplayed! I hated "Sound of Silence" for years after the radio stations wore out every copy ever made! (I believe I did read about Debby Boone afterward--and yes, it is nice to hear that some people have moral convictions they abide by.)

Red is not happy with "Mmm Bop." I agree it is one of those songs--along with most of these--that gets stuck in your head and you just want to use an ice pick to perform a lobotomy on yourself! Unfortunately, even that probably wouldn't wipe some of these out of your mind!

Now for a few of my nominations:

"Ben" by Michael Jackson has to be one of the stupidest songs. Excuse me! A love song to a rat?! I guess he has ALWAYS been strange.

"Ebony & Ivory" by Paul McCartney & Stevie Wonder. "Ebony and ivory live together in perfect harmony/Side by side on my piano keyboard, Oh Lord, why don't we?" Enough said.

And finally, I have to nominate just about every song Paul McCartney has ever done without John Lennon. I guess their greatness was in their togetherness--at least Sir Paul's was!

And that--probably--concludes the worst songs! But then, you never know. After all, there are new songs coming out every day.

4 comments:

  1. I have to disagree with you about Paul McCartney...

    I think he was BETTER without John Lennon. Lennon was too pretencious and insufferably anile.

    If Mark Chapman hadn't have shot him, I would have.

    And speaking of that, how is it possible that he took five rounds in the chest, Yoko Ono was standing right niext to him and not one stinking round?

    Life is definately not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd have to say the worst song is Henry the VIII..... Once it's in your head, FORGET ABOUT IT! You can't get it out! Thanks for your comment--made me feel validated.... And human.

    ReplyDelete
  3. RT: We have to agree to disagree about McCartney--HOWEVER, I don't think Lennon was all that great without McCartney, either. There just are not words to talk about Yoko Ono, is there?

    Cantellya: WHY did you have to mention "Henry the VIII?" Now it will be in my head for days!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...