Monday, June 19, 2006

Bird Story

My husband works at a power plant. The place is quite large and uses coal for fuel. This means that there are very large buildings and very large smoke stacks. And there are very large numbers of pigeons, which cause very large problems. Over the past several years, the powers-that-be have been trying to lure a pair of peregrine falcons to the property to nest. This would help take care of the pigeon problem. A nesting box was placed on one of the smoke stacks in the hope that a pair would take it over. After a few years, it looks as if a nesting pair of falcons have decided to stay--at least for awhile. This pair has been here longer than any of the others that have been seen, so the hope is that falcons will be around for many years.

About a month ago, our governor was supposed to come to the plant to see something new that was just completed. (Don't ask me what--the most I know about electricity is: flip a switch, the lights go on.) This was a very important occasion, so money was allocated for clean-up of the plant property. There was much sweeping and polishing and all-around sprucing up. K said the place looked rather good and decided to go outside for a look-see at what had been done. He was walking along, marveling at the good job that been done, when, a few yards away, he began seeing some white, round things. He couldn't believe that the clean-up crew would leave something so very obvious, so he went to investigate. And what he found, littering the newly-cleaned property, was this: pigeon heads! The falcons were doing their job. (And because everything wasn't completely up and running in time, the governor didn't make the trip. Could have been interesting for her to step on a pigeon head!)

1 comment:

  1. Ha! My dad works at a power plant here. Sadly, what you know about electricity is about all I know too. I'm going to have to ask him if they have a pigeon problem now too!!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...