Friday, June 30, 2006

Being Misunderstood

When one writes a blog, there always is the chance of being quoted by someone else. This has happened to me three times--that I know of. A part of my "review" of my laptop was quoted by someone else commenting on the computer industry. There was a link--okay, so it actually wasn't a quote--on the Washington Post site listing me as "Who's Blogging" when I quoted an article they had about Warren Buffet. Now, today, I find that I have been quoted here.

I don't usually care what is said about me--I HAVE had some less than welcome comments posted to me in the past--but I felt I needed to address this article, if for nothing more than my own piece of mind. When I read the article, I came away thinking "what an ass--how could she think that 'buying' children is funny?" Then I realized I was thinking this about myself after reading my quote in this article. And THEN I thought--about the person who had written this--GET A LIFE! I was STRICTLY commenting on the celebrity aspect of adopting (read that as 'buying'--in a lot of cases) children from other countries. (And, frankly, it is my total disdain for Brangelina that caused me to comment in the first place. I NEVER said anything about Meg Ryan and her newly adopted daughter.) I in no way even thought about the horrors of baby-trafficking--as I am sure the person who wrote the original article in the LA Times never did.

Sarcasm is lost on a lot of people--even more so on the web. I KNOW people feel my sarcasm when they hear me, I guess it isn't always apparent in the written form. So, for whatever it is worth--all sincerity, no sarcasm intended--I apologize if I offended anyone when I commented the way I did. I feel for people who cannot have children, who are having difficulties adopting, etc, etc, and I didn't mean to offend.

And I still, TOTALLY, believe there is more to do with publicity than wanting to be a good person in a lot of these celebrity 'baby-buying' deals. So there.

3 comments:

  1. Yes I agree, they need to get a life. If they didn't realize that your post was sarcastic, then they must be brain dead. Don't let them get a rise out of you, and believe me, you have NOTHING to apologize for. It WAS funny.

    I also think that there must be some kind of "buying" going on in all these foreign adoptions. I feel this way because there are plenty of children waiting to be adopted right here in our own backyard. Apparently those aren't good enough for the elitists. It reminds me of an episode of the Brit-com Absolutely Fabulous where one of the women keeps threatening to adopt a Romanian baby. I'm sure if these people were to see that episode, it would then be making fun of Romanians...

    Don't sweat it sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so much that they got a rise out of me as I felt I needed to do a bit of a rant about the whole thing. Brain dead, as you said.

    I also agree with you about them not adopting from the US. It always made me wonder what the deal was there. And I can't believe it completely has to do with not enough infants here in the States. I have a cousin--and believe me, he (as well as I) is NOWHERE close to being a 'D-lister,' much less an 'A-' or 'B-lister'--and he and his wife had no trouble adopting not one, but TWO infants here in the US. So, I have come to the conclusion that foreign adoptions are just very fashionable and that's why the celebs do it. Otherwise, you can't possibly tell me they couldn't have their pick of any child they wanted--money talks anywhere, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:14 PM

    http://biaxin-buy.webs.com/ biaxin online no prescription
    http://sustiva-efavirenz.webs.com/ purchase Efavirenz 500 mg
    http://asacol-mesalamine.webs.com/ buy generic pentasa
    http://www.freewebs.com/pentasa-mesalamine/ asacol 400 mg cost

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...