Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Just Some Thoughts

--I keep seeing the ads on TV for KFC's Famous Bowls. These are made by layering mashed potatoes, corn, crispy fried chicken, gravy, and a 3-cheese blend in a bowl. Aren't these more a "heart-attack-in-a-bowl"? Although, I find they look strangely compelling and just might have to try one soon. Hey, no one EVER accused me of having a refined palate!

--K went to his sister's to do some work today and he brought back 4 quarts of freshly picked strawberries! We haven't had strawberries from back home in a few years, so this is a real treat. He should be back up there before all of the berries are gone, so he will get some more. I have to clean what I have and freeze most of them--and I will fix strawberry shortcakes with the rest. YUM!

--Warren Buffet announced that he will be giving $30.7 billion of his money to charity. This is instead of leaving his vast wealth to his children. He feels as if his kids should have money "enough to do anything but not enough to do nothing." Now, considering this money is only about 80% of his wealth, what does that leave for his kids? Somewhere around $14 billion after the giveaway. Gee whiz, I hope his kids can find some gainful employment because they couldn't possibly get along in this life with ONLY $14 billion!

Don't get me wrong, it is wonderful that these people are giving back to the poverty-stricken, etc. I applaud that with all my heart. Just, please, DON'T make it seem as if you are leaving your children destitute when you die. (Gates has said something similar about not leaving HIS children all of his money.) Just announce that you are giving grand sums of money to charity--DON'T try to make people think your kids are actually going to have to work for a living after you are gone! I could live a VERY good life on the interest on the money that daddy's kids will get when he dies. If I got the interest from one DAY, I could live--probably for the rest of my life--better than I am living now. If I got the interest for one YEAR, I could make sure every member of my family would live high for the rest of their lives. Again, I think it is wonderful that these rich people give money to charity, I just wish they wouldn't make it sound as if they and their families just might wind up on the receiving end of one of the charities.

1 comment:

  1. You may as well go and order up a bout with food poisoning than eat at the KFC here. Shame too.. I used to like to eat there on occasion..

    I know what you mean about the whole 'leaving wealth/non-wealth.' They must think everyone is stupid.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...