Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Carolina Won!

After being down 3-0 in the second period, the Hurricanes won the first game of the finals by a score of 5-4! I almost don't mind Detroit not being in the finals--that is how good this game was. Not only was the play fast, but there was a penalty shot and a goaltender had to be replaced. The Oilers' Roloson injured his right knee late in the game when a couple of players collided and fell on him. He had to be replaced for the remainder of the game. Word is that he won't be back for any more games of the series. I truly hate to hear this--I hope he'll be fine for next season and have this not be a career-ending injury.

The big story of the game, though, was the goaltender for Carolina. This kid--and at 22 years old, he IS a kid--was unbelievable! The defense didn't help him as much as they should have, so Cam Ward got himself one workout. It is one thing for a goalie to stop one, maybe two shots, but this guy was stopping multiply shots with no let-up at all! Win or lose, I hope he gets one big boost in his paycheck next season: he deserves it!

We get the games on two different channels on our cable system: CBC from Canada and OLN from the States. I love the announcers from Canada because they REALLY know how to call a game. But I stay away from the CBC when it is a contest between a US and a Canadian team--there is a bias that just can't be mistaken a lot of the time. So, tonight I was watching OLN and the announcers were so completely FOR Edmonton that I had to turn to the CBC just to get an unbiased calling of the game! Even Mickey Redmond--a Detroit announcer during Wings games--controls himself more than these idiots on OLN! I can't imagine what they were thinking.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! You make me wish I'd have watched!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know it must be the end of time when teams from the South win in Hockey, Baseball (Marlins), and the NCAA Mens Basketball (Gators, Yeah!).
    Go Hurricane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red: There still is time to watch at least three more games starting on Wednesday! :)

    Doug: Believe me, I know what you mean! Here I am in the Great White North and I'm actually wanting a southern team to win--and an expansion team to boot! Oh, the hockey gods will not look kindly on me. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...