Saturday, July 01, 2006

I Understand Constitutional Rights, But...

A convicted sex offender, John Couey, kidnapped, raped, and buried alive a 9-year-old girl in Florida. He freely admitted as much to detectives--as well as others--and a judge has decided his confession is inadmissible in court. This is because he wasn't allowed to talk to an attorney--so he says, and the judge agrees--before he made his admission. The detectives say they misunderstood what he now is saying he meant. Whatever the reason, I find this very hard to accept. Thankfully, the prosecution says this shouldn't do any real damage to their case and he WILL be found guilty. If this, in any way, would cause this animal to go free, I would take it upon myself to make sure there would be a public outcry!

I also don't understand why there even has to be a trial. Not only did this pervert admit to the police what he had done, he also made incriminating statements to a jail guard and detectives months after his arrest and initial interrogation, admitting to what he had done, so what is a trial going to prove? I know, I know, his rights, etc, etc, but it just doesn't make any sense. Hopefully, his time on Earth will not be too much longer. Here is a link to the story.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, that whole thing just stinks. I don't know what it is about some in this country's lack of desire to punish the guilty. If he said he did it, then he said he did it.. That's pretty cut and dry.

    There was an instance here in my hometown where a man admitted to molesting a 5 year old. He spent one night in jail then was released so that he could go to some hospital for "treatment." Funny though, he was able to function more than normally prior to this. Long story short, he never saw the inside of a courtroom in two years and our incompetent DA was about to dismiss the case due to "lack of time" for the case. Thankfully, by the grace of God, the man died. Problem solved. We can always hope that this happens to Couey as well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I only hope there is a SPECIAL place in HELL for people like John Couey and others who prey on innocent children! They'll never GET WHAT THEY DESERVE here on earth! ~ jb///

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's reasons why I'm not a cop anymore and this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...