Friday, July 07, 2006

About My World



I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Some people don't know the UP of Michigan exists. Some think we are a part of Canada. Others think we are part of Wisconsin. A lot of people think we are the armpit of the world. Those of us who live here, call it 'God's Country.' I would like to introduce you to my world.

The town I live in is on the southern shore of Lake Superior. Lake Superior is the largest of the Great Lakes--it is the world's second largest lake and the world's largest fresh water lake. Yes, I said fresh water. Many communities get their water directly from Lake Superior--of course, it is treated and filtered before it is piped to homes. There is enough water in Superior to cover all of North and South America with one foot of water. Here is a pic of the shoreline in the summer:
And here is the shoreline in the winter:


There still are many areas along the shore that have public access. One can walk along the water's edge, sit on the beach and soak up the sunshine, search for agates, and even go for a swim. I must caution people, though, about the swimming: the water in Superior rarely gets to 55 degrees--and this only happens during long, sustained hot spells. You have to be a rare breed--or crazy ;)--to swim in Lake Superior. It sure is refreshing when the temp is hovering around the 90 degree mark, though.

Many people will come to Lake Superior for the fishing. There are lake trout, steelhead, and coho salmon to be had. Sturgeon and northern pike are also taken from the lake. I know of many pike that were 36" or more that people have gotten--the pike I caught as a youngster was only 21", but it put up a mighty fight!

Lighthouses are a part of the surrounding area because of the shipping that has been part of the lake for years. For people interested in seeing old lighthouses, this would be a great place to sightsee. (Marquette Harbor Lighthouse/Image by Marvin Aerial Photography)

3 comments:

  1. The farthest north I've ever been is Kansas.. As you can see, I venture out a lot.. :P

    Lovely pictures of the shorelines! Maybe one of these days I'll post about my hometown!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I knew most of that, thanks for posting! And great pictures. Someday I'd like to hund deer up there in the UP...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Red: Don't worry--even though I HAVE been as far south as Florida, I have never been further west than Wisconsin! That is why the concert in St Paul will be great: I will FINALLY be almost to the Mississippi River! (Or at least a river that flows into the Mississippi.)

    Tom: You gotta get here before they start regulating the damn hunting to death, though! They are trying to restrict the number of deer that can be taken each year, so...

    Miss Fire: I believe we are called MichiGANDERS! I remember when they made such a big to-do about what we should be called: Michiganders or Michiganians. I would have preferred Michiganians, but... Actually the preferred way to refer to ourselves is this: If you are from the UP, you are a Yooper. Those in the LP (Lower Peninsula) are Trolls...because they live under the bridge. :D (And believe me, all of the whiners aren't in the south--DAMN! I STILL have to listen to enough people who complain, ALL OF THE TIME, about how lousy and cold the weather is here! Go somewhere else, then, and leave me to my nice, cool, temps! Just qwitcherbitchin'!)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...