Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Finishing Up The Weekend

I figured I would just finish up the stories from the weekend--this way I can be done with it.

So anyway, the worst that happened at the party was the way The Father's family treated me. His sisters barely acknowledged my existence and one of The Cousins didn't even say a word to me--but we never have been very fond of each other. Oh, well, it didn't make me sad, that's for sure.

On Sunday K and I were at his sister's house to see some of his family. We weren't to be at The Parent's house until 2:00 for the opening of the wedding gifts, so we were able to have a nice visit with the family. I guess I must have gotten the time wrong, because when we got to The Parent's, everyone had already eaten. You know the saying "If looks could kill?" Well, the looks we got when we walked into the house would have done worse than that! NOBODY can imagine what it is like to be on the receiving end of one of those looks from members of The Family. I'm surprised I didn't just melt into a heap of blubbering flesh right on the spot. But, I have gotten to the point in my life where I let stuff like that just roll off of me like water off of a duck's back. It's taken me too many years, but I have finally learned.

Then the incident happened that made me so very thankful that I am not with The Family very often. We were sitting in the living room watching the opening of the gifts. I was sitting on the sofa and Catie (my granddaughter) was next to me and The Mother was next to her. Catie, being 7, was playing with her gum--twirling it around her finger and stretching it from her mouth, etc. I asked her not to do it and then I had to ask her again. When she persisted, I lowered my voice even more and explained to her that there would be hell to pay if she got the gum on the sofa and that she should stop right away, which she did. After a bit, she went down onto the floor at my feet. Her younger sister, Noelle, and the Youngest Niece were sitting there, too. Noelle, being not quite 3, was climbing all over the Niece and managed to get her feet in Catie's face. Catie pushed her feet away--not in a harsh way, by any means. The Mother saw this exchange and then she started. "Catie, you stop that! You stop that right now! Stop hitting your sister! Stop that right now!" This went on for about a minute. By this time, Catie was getting nervous and started to play with her gum again. The Mother: "You put that gum back in your mouth! Keep that gum in your mouth! I will take that away from you! Get that gum in your mouth. Quit playing with that gum." The Father started: "Catie, put that gum in your mouth. You're going to get it all over. I'm going to take that away from you. Quit playing with your gum. Put that back in your mouth." Suddenly, over the two of them, a voice shrieked, "CATIE! THAT'S IT!!" It was the Oldest Niece. She came into the living room, stood in front of Catie with her hand in the girl's face and screamed, "Give me that gum, NOW! You're done with it!" Catie spit the gum into her hand and The Niece threw it away. I got up, went into the kitchen and told K that if I didn't get out of there, quick, I was going to deck The Niece--and it wouldn't be pretty! I don't know what C would have done if she would have been there, but I have a feeling she wouldn't have said anything. When I used to be there with the girls when they were young, everyone 'disciplined' my kids, too--and I let them! It is truly one of many things I regret allowing to happen over the years.

So, even though the incidents that happened weren't earth-shattering, they were very indicative of the kinds of things I have, thankfully, left behind. A person can tolerate these kinds of things once in awhile, but when I used to be there all of the time, these things happened constantly. And it wears on you. And I am glad I am out of there.

2 comments:

  1. The fur would have been flying!!

    We have a ten-year-old neice that tends to mother hen all the younger kids at every get together. It's annoying. Her parents never do a thing about it either. One of the other kids had come to tattle on something my daughter did (she didn't do anything, those kids are a totally different story)and I went back there to see what had happened. The neice followed me and proceeded to stand there and get on to my daughter while I was standing there. I turned to her and said, "Hey, I got it!" She walked back to the living room. When I went back in there, her step-mother (despised sister-in-law) said that the neice told her that she thought the other one was just trying to get my daughter in trouble. I said, "Yeah, you guys need to have another one for her to raise..." In other words, make her leave the others alone!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one thing I forgot to mention was the fact that The Niece is 25 years old--old enough to know that you DO NOT YELL AT OTHER PEOPLE'S KIDS! It isn't her job to do any disciplining. The thing is, The Brother, his wife, and their kids all seem to think they have the right to say and do whatever they want; disciplining other's kids, for example. The problem is, NO ONE can tell them ANYTHING about their kids--you want problems, yell at one of theirs! It is a bad situation all around--and as I said, I'm just glad I'm not there!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...