Sunday, July 09, 2006

Political Correctness

--Sony has an ad showing a white woman being aggressive toward a black woman. This DEFINITELY got some people quite upset and screaming racism. The trouble is, the other ad they have--showing a black woman being aggressive with a white woman--wasn't targeted as racist. Interesting. Here's the story.

--Some students were not allowed to play an instrumental version of "Ave Maria" during their graduation ceremony because it was deemed to be 'religious' in nature. Now, there were NO words being sung, only the music. But it still was vetoed by the principal. You have to separate religion from all school-sanctioned activities, don't you know. Here's the story.

--Magazines that are written for pre-teens are not allowed to do stories about soldiers--or so it seems. Some people are very upset over the cover story in Cobblestone magazine because they feel it is a recruiting pitch for the Army. I guess they would feel differently if doctors were used in the article, instead? (But, definitely, DON'T use a minister, priest, rabbi...) Read the rest of the story here. (And as you are reading the story, replace the word soldier with 'dentist,' 'lawyer,' 'teacher,' or any number of other professions and see if it would cause people to get upset. I would guess not.)

--It is now politically incorrect to call anyone without siblings an 'only child.' It is insensitive. The politically correct term is 'singleton.' Are you sure they don't mean 'SIMPLETON'? And that refers to the idiot that came up with this one! Here is where I came across this new piece of crap.

1 comment:

  1. My rights are being diminished in the name of "political correctness." I think it's the main reason I try so hard not to be!

    I went to my cousin's graduation a couple months ago. I was very surprised when they prayed before getting started and the valedictorian's speech included him saying that he'll go where God leads him and get this- he actually quoted a verse or two... OH, and people (the entire crowd) cheered...

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...