Tuesday, July 18, 2006

A Little More Than 72 Hours

You know how you get a little giddy in anticipation of an upcoming event and count down the hours? Well, I'm counting down the hours till we go out of town, but NOT in anticipation. It is more like a sense of dread. Here's the story:

Our oldest is putting on a wedding party/reception for our youngest this weekend. This is the last of the wedding parties and this one is for my family, K's family, and the people "back home." In other words: people that The Mother wants there and K's family. This is being held in The Parent's home, so I actually have to step foot in Their house once again. I am NOT looking forward to this event. The only saving grace--other than actually being with my two girls at the same time--is that our oldest friends will be there. They are coming from Wisconsin and we already have plans to visit a local pub for pizza and many adult beverages after the party. That is the only thing that is keeping me sane at the moment. I don't want to deal with The Parents, The Brother and his family, or my extended family. Just don't want to do it. But, I'm an adult and there are some things you just HAVE to do, whether you want to or not.

Here is the latest in my family saga. I was talking to C last week. They just closed on their new house and she was telling me all of the things she needed to do before they could move in. Just in passing, she mentioned that she couldn't do whatever it was she had wanted to do on Friday, because The Parents were going to be in Detroit and she had no one to watch her kids. EXCUSE ME! Come to find out, The Father's twin sister's husband died and they were going to the funeral. No one let me know. No one called me. I accidentally found out. And I don't have a clue what my aunt's address is, so I can't even send a card. (Not that we were close--haven't seen her in at least five years and it's been more than five years since we have actually spoken. I never was close to The Father's family--courtesy of The Mother.) I know that at some point SOMEONE will bring up the funeral and snipe at me for some reason. I am just practicing how to say "BITE ME" in as pleasant a way possible--cause I think I will be saying it a lot this weekend.

So, for the rest of this week until we leave, everything will be about me. I am going to have the most pleasant week I possibly can have. Tuesday K and I will go to our favorite pub and play trivia and indulge in some adult beverages. Wednesday I will go shopping for some new clothes for the weekend. Thursday I will go to the tanning booth and have my first-ever manicure and pedicure. All of that should keep me happy for awhile!

I will survive--I KNOW I will survive. What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger. :)

1 comment:

  1. Leazwell: Maybe if I say 'Bite Me!' in a different language...?

    Miss Fire: To answer your question: Be happy? :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...