Thursday, May 10, 2007

7 Things Meme

Cindi, at Over The Rainbow, tagged me with this meme. I am supposed to come up with seven random facts/habits about me. Here goes....(and believe me when I say THIS WAS HARD. I just am not very secretive about my life.:))

1) My mother's first cousin was Miss Michigan--way back in the 1950s. She also was a semi-finalist in the Miss America pageant. Because of her status as a semi-finalist, she got several (small) movie roles. She left 'the business' because she couldn't stand the phoniness. Today, she holds dual Finnish/American citizenship and lives full time in Finland. She is one of only two members of my family that I regularly have contact with.

2) I have never put gas in a vehicle. (I have stated this before, but there is a reason for me to mention it again.) However, I am the only one who hangs pictures--or anything else--on the walls in our house. I also put together most of the 'assemble-it-yourself' furniture that we have bought. If we had more power tools, I know I could do most any remodeling necessary in a house.

3) My high school boyfriend never married. I believe his mother blamed me for that. In some way, it is flattering to think so, but I do believe his drug and alcohol habits had more to do with it than I did.

4) A few posts back I mentioned the fact that my father was in the hospital for a year when I was very young. He was thought to have tuberculosis and was isolated until he had surgery. He had an ulcerated lung and not TB. I am the reason this all came about and I have lived my entire life feeling guilty about it. When I had to have my TB test/shot in kindergarten, I was so terrified of the needle that I pulled away. Of course, I showed a positive reaction and then my entire family was tested for TB. My mother also tested positive. (We both had been exposed, but never had TB.) My father was the one to get put into the hospital--my mother and I took medications for a year. I KNOW my mother blamed me for my father's hospitalization and it has been a huge burden I am finally overcoming. Even though I remember hearing my mother say it was my fault, she denies it to this day. Just another reason for me to not feel very good about her. (She was VERY young at the time and said things without thinking. It happens. I just wish she would own up to it.)

5) As everyone knows, I am a HUGE hockey fan and an even HUGER Red Wings fan. But...when I first started to watch hockey, I was a fan of the Boston Bruins. Bobby Orr, Phil Esposito, Derek Sanderson, Gerry Cheevers...couldn't get any better than that! I fell away from watching hockey for some time and came back as a Red Wings fan--because I couldn't go against the rest of the household. :)

6) The company my husband works for bought out the company he started at. The original company sponsored a photo contest for the employees and their families every year. I won the contest twice. My first win came with a picture I took of my niece at her birthday. She was nose-to-nose with the clown that was there, staring in his eyes. It was a once-in-a-lifetime shot. The second picture I won with was of a squirrel eating from our bird feeder. The extraordinary thing about this was: the squirrel was hanging onto the roof of the feeder by his back claws and was eating upside down. It was a pretty cool shot.

7) I was once a dental assistant. That isn't very unusual, but the work I did WAS. I never had any formal training, but I took x-rays, took impressions, instructed people on the proper care of their teeth, evaluated their teeth cleaning, did some hygienist-type cleaning, and applied temporary fillings. I broke the law by putting in temporary fillings--and maybe by doing some of the other stuff, too. Thankfully, I left the practice before it was busted.

There you have it...7 things I don't believe I ever mentioned in this blog before. It was one of the hardest memes I have ever done, so I will not tag anyone specifically. I hope everyone tries it, though--puts your brain to work for a while, that's for sure!

5 comments:

  1. Now THAT is a doggone interesting list! I have to admit I smiled a couple of times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you back, my dear. I TRIED to make the list interesting--and it definitely was hard!

    (If you should ever need to 'talk' privately, you can always email.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's some pretty interesting stuff..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am confused about the TB thing.
    You said you pulled away from the needle out of fear and it was discovered that you were positive for it along with your mother. Why would she blame you? She was positive too. How long was he in the hospital? You were only in kindergarten...so long ago and she still blames you for that?

    Amazing that you have never put gas in a vehicle!

    That is really cool about your cousin with the Miss America ties!

    I love reading people's answers to these memes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. cindi: My mother said that because I pulled away, THAT is what caused my arm to puff up and turn red. You know, like the fact that I (and she) had actually been exposed to someone with TB had absolutely nothing to do with it! My father was in the hospital for about a year--the amount of time before, during, and after his surgery. (He was in the hospital at the very end of the TB scare--a time when hospitals were being shut down and he happened to be caught up in a time when more patients meant the place got to stay open--so they looked for any reason to hospitalize people. The lucky thing about this: he had an ulcer on his lung which probably would have turned to cancer before he would have been diagnosed--and probably would have died--but he got it taken care of under the name of TB.) When I finally confronted my mother about my guilt feelings--a few years ago--she denied ever saying I was to blame. As a matter of fact, she laughed at me and told me I was foolish. I ALMOST doubted myself for a little while, but when I thought over everything, I figured it HAD to be true the way I remembered--why else would a 4- or 5-year-old feel guilt about something like this? I even remember--and the total illogical-ness of this is why I KNOW a very young child came up with this--thinking to myself that when I got to be an adult I was going to have another TB test just to prove that I was negative and it really wasn't my fault. VERY illogical, but the way a child's mind will work.

    As I said, while she might have meant it when she first said I was to blame, I'm sure it wasn't anything more than anger, fear, sadness, etc, that came out in that remark. I understand that. But, even though I understand, I am having a difficult time forgiving her if she can't even admit to what she said. We'll see what happens as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...