Tuesday, June 03, 2008

I'm Doing Better

After getting some sleep, I AM feeling a bit better. I've got a bit of a better perspective on things, so...

Whether the Wings win the Cup or not, they have played an amazing season. The best team doesn't ALWAYS win the big prize, so I am prepared. It is unbelievable that they have been able to get where they are--the team is probably one of the best that has ever played the game. And they HAVE to be at least three times better than any other team in the league--the Red Wings don't only have to beat the team they are playing, but the refs and the league, as well. While this has been going on for many years, this season is worse than usual. It is no secret that the commissioner and league want their poster boy, Sidney Crosby, to get as much glory as possible. And for his team to be up against the best there is, nothing could be better than to have the Pens win. That is the way it is and I have to accept it. By Sunday morning the Cup will have been presented to the winners--whoever it may be. End of season.

Next year will be great. The Wings should have most of their team together still. There will be some potential retirements--and that isn't always a bad thing. It would be too sad that Dom and Drake might retire without winning the Cup--should the Wings lose--but Dom HAS won before. I really would like them to win for Drake--he has never even been to the Finals before this season. What a nice way to end a career, by winning a Stanley Cup.

There has been talk for quite a while about some of the less skilled players not coming back next year--and that, too, isn't necessarily bad. With the phenomenal players the Wings have in the minors, they can lose the deadwood and not even miss a step.

The playoffs have been really good for some of the players. Finally the rest of the hockey world can acknowledge just how good Z is. The man has been playing like his career depends on it--and he WILL be rewarded with a nice big pay raise when he signs his new contract. You just have to know that the Wings will do whatever is necessary to keep him for the long-term.

Franzen really came into his own toward the end of the season. The man is on his way. FINALLY, Kronwall made it through a season without one of his fluky injuries and made a big impact. You gotta LOVE those big open-ice hits he makes! Cleary would have done so much more if he wouldn't have had his jaw broken--but he had a great year, too. How many more of these career-best stories can be written? Basically, every one of the players had the best season of his career--you can't ask for more. And next year should be as good.

Finally, Filppula has been unbelievably, amazingly, phenomenal during the playoffs. Okay, he HASN'T put the numbers on the board, but listening to the announcing, you would think he is the ONLY player on the ice at times. His puck-handling and skating have been incredible. He is a superstar in the making. As he is a restricted free agent as of July 1, he can be assured of a GREAT pay raise--and he deserves it!

My Baby Boy certainly cleans up nice--and this picture is WAY better than his 'official' one. So, I had to post it. :)



Is this post very doom-and-gloom pessimistic? No, not really. I am facing the real possibility that things won't end up the way I want them to--AND saving my stomach from an ulcer at the same time. It doesn't really matter, in the scheme of things, who wins the Cup. I had an enjoyable year watching a game that I love, played by a team that I'm crazy about, and you can't ask for much more than that! :)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:06 PM

    Grrlll...I could stare at THAT photo all damn day! sha-wing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I think he is cute as a bug's ear, he isn't ALL that much more than what I have always lived with. He is a typical-looking Finn. But that IS an awfully good pic of him. :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...