Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Milk

I don't really care for milk and don't drink it very often. K drinks it enough that I still have to buy it by the gallon, but the amount I drink is negligible. As a child, I was required to drink milk--and I probably even liked it. These days, I put milk on my cereal and I cook with it and that is about it.

All this thinking about milk began when I drove past our local dairy today. Their brand of milk is the ONLY brand I buy. I have tried other brands, but they taste 'funny' to me. Can't explain it, but the one time I bought a 'regional' brand, K had to drink it all himself--neither A or I could choke it down. This is only the second brand of milk I have had in my life--other than whatever I had to get while I lived in South Carolina for a short time.

The area where I grew up had dairy farms. Of course, they weren't nearly as big as what most people would think of, but they provided a way of life for quite a few families--among them, relatives of mine. These relatives sold their milk to the local dairy, so that is the brand The Mother bought. I NEVER drank any other brand--we had to support the relatives. Amazingly, I didn't have to switch to my present brand till the first dairy closed in the 1980s.

When I was young, we drank whole milk. Once in a while, we even drank raw milk--we would get it from my uncle's farm. The thought of drinking either makes my skin crawl today. Quite a few years ago, we moved from 2% milk to skim--which is all we have in the house now. I remember my great-grandmother had her milk delivered--in glass bottles--and the first thing she did was poured out the cream from the top of the bottle. This was what they used for coffee. So, in essence, was the milk that was left skim milk? Interesting.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:44 AM

    I'm not crazy about milk either. I have it on my cereal and put it in my coffee, but I rarely drink it except if I have graham crackers, and at Sunday breakfast (bacon and eggs). It pisses me off when a bottle is sour, I curse while pouring it out.

    We had a milkman who would leave bottles (with cardboard tops)in the milkbox in the back yard (we still have that milkbox, I use it to store junk I'm too lazy to put inside) and he'd leave the back gate open and I'd have to chase down my dog who took every opportunity of an open gate to take off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:25 PM

    I like 1% at most 2% on cereal but can't stand the taste of whole milk. And organic milk taste the way the milk barn smells. NASTY stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WE never had a milkman when I was growing up--and I never could understand why. My g-grandmother did and so did K's family. During the winter, the cream in the bottles that were left in the milkbox would freeze and expand. Instead of pouring off the cream, they would just cut it off to thaw for use!

    I found a milkbox in a local antique store from the dairy I remember as a child. I STILL kick myself that I didn't buy it at the time.

    Yeah, whole milk is just nasty. {shudder}

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, dazd, you DO have a point! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...