Wednesday, June 18, 2008

No One Is More Guilty Than Me

K watches the financial channel. I don't know why--we don't have enough money to even THINK of following any advice there. I guess he must watch just to try and figure out what he will do with that big lottery pot he's going to win. In his dreams. Anyway, I don't watch the channel, but I catch certain things as I'm walking through the living room--exactly what happened the other day.

A headline for an up-coming show caught my attention as I was passing the television. This had to do with the upcoming election and the views/policies of presidential candidates. While I don't remember WHAT was said--yeah, what's the point to this post then, right?--I do remember thinking, "WHY isn't this being broadcast on the network news, written up in all the newspapers, and splashed all over the net?" The statement that was made would cause a semi-intelligent person to question his/her endorsement of their favorite candidate. And the story was on a very obscure channel that very few people watch. Outrageous.

It is really sad to think of the majority of people who will vote in November without doing one bit of research into the candidate they will vote for. They will base their decision on a celebrity endorsement or because he is the choice of a certain party. Then the majority of the rest will do a minimal amount of research before making their choice, but won't dig deep enough to find out what the candidate is REALLY all about. A very small amount of people will put in the time needed to make a totally informed choice. I have to admit, I have NOT been one of the few--although I have not been one of the vast majority, either. But, I AM guilty of making choices that aren't as informed as they should be. And I vow to change that. We ALL should spend a few minutes every day--come on, we're on the computer anyway--and read an article or two about each candidate. Once we really understand their views, feelings, voting records, etc, we should be able to make truly informed decisions. This year it is more important than ever to do so.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:08 PM

    Oh, I agree. Sometimes it's hard to distinguish who said what about whom, and all that other smoke and mirrors. I think that people get fatigued hearing about the candidates for so long that they stop listening.

    What's interesting to me is people who have definite opinions but don't bother to go vote, because it was raining that day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Believe me, IF I don't get out to vote, I keep ALL of my opinions to myself. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:23 AM

    RabgerTom is back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a financial channel? Wow. Snore.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous2:17 PM

    Um? Wha? I couldnt watch three seconds of that! But I have no concept of money or finances.

    Its nice to b home! Ive MISSED you soo much!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  6. leazwell: I saw that.

    burg: I agree.

    meleah: That's why I said I only catch things while walking through the room--you don't catch ME actually WATCHING the channel! :)

    Missed you, too, my dear!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...