Monday, June 16, 2008

This and That

I was in the grocery store the other day and looked to see what the couple in front of me were buying. They had two items: refrigerated pie crusts and spiced rum. Hmmm.

**********

On the news last night, a young man was interviewed. I wasn't paying much attention to the story, but I DID hear one of the comments the young man made: "As soon as it's done, it's over with." Huh?

**********

The Stanley Cup isn't coming here. Damn. There was some speculation that Dallas Drake would bring it here because his college career was in this town, but it is not to be. He is bringing the Cup to his hometown--where his parents live--in British Colombia and to Traverse City where he lives with his wife and children. I understand, but still...

**********

I think we all know that Kleenex, Q-Tip, Band-Aid, etc, were all trademarked names before they became household words. Mental_floss did an article on 10 words that used to be trademarked. The story is here--quite interesting.

**********

My youngest called last night asking if I could find out what kind of weather warnings they were having. (They live in St Paul--7 hours or so from us.) They didn't have any power and were a bit concerned over the severity of what they were experiencing. I looked online and sent her a text message letting her know what was happening. We kept in touch by text message until the storms had passed--which eased their minds. What in the world did we do before the internet and computers and text messaging on phones came into being?

**********

As for the power outage, A said they lost power around 10:00 PM Saturday and they didn't get it back till 4:00 PM Sunday! Wow! Thankfully, my son-in-law has grandparents close by so they were able to bring their refrigerator/freezer food to be stored AND do the laundry so they would have clothes for work tomorrow. Good grief.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:08 PM

    I'm of two minds about all this high-tech weather stuff the newscasters have. We spent most of the day with a Severe T-Storm Watch taking up about a fourth of the TV screen and all day it was clear blue sky. Yesterday I was thinking about when I was a kid and the only way we knew a t-storm was coming is if we looked up at the sky. Most of the time they weren't severe, either. Now it seems as though every little storm that comes has the potential to kill us all. Yes, the improved radar has been helpful for people in tornado-prone areas but you wonder what people did before Accu-Weather or whatever they use.

    I'm glad your kids were safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think the best way to figure out the weather is by looking out of the window! Although, during the really bad times, I LOVE the radar--helps me know how much longer I get to have an anxiety attack! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:12 PM

    Except sometimes the radar doesn't show what's happing right overhead my house. I guess I can't expect them to know when a lone cloud is hovering over an area of about a square mile, but it's hard when they insist it's blue sky and sun when we're having a thundershower. That shows how much they know. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely hear you on that one! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...