Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Waterfront Property

Waterfront property is sold for a premium price in many areas of the US. And my area is no exception. Living on a peninsula as I do, it would seem that waterfront property is plentiful and possibly sells for a reasonable amount, but that is not true. Property on the Lake Superior shoreline--OR on an inland lake--goes for tens of thousands of dollars per lot. WAY more than I could ever afford. Thankfully, living on the water has never been a big priority for me.

Much of the property on Lake Superior is not for sale. A lot of it is state or federally owned, so no one can build on it. As long as my grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and on down the line, can have access to the lake, I'm fine with the way things are. IF, however, the only owners of waterfront property are rich out-of-towners, then I have a BIG problem. There are a lot of people who buy property here--the premium property--and only live here for a few months out of the year. Then they go back to their 'sophisticated' lifestyles and leave those of us who are permanent residents looking at their unoccupied residences. This isn't right, but there is not much that can be done about it.

All of this brings me to the last waterfront property I saw that was for sale. Our house is at least a mile from the shoreline--definitely NOT waterfront property. There is a house about a mile from me--FURTHER away from the lake--that was advertised as waterfront property. Why? Because a very small stream--I think more water goes down my drain when I shower, frankly--runs through the lot. Excuse me???? NOT the way to try and sell a house, as far as I'm concerned. Oh, well, it isn't my place.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:10 PM

    Some people will do anything to make an extra buck, I guess, including lying about a house being waterfront property.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got that right! We drove past the house tonight and it was sold--hmmm, I wonder if the buyers paid extra for the waterfront? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous2:18 PM

    Thats what I like to call...A Rip Off

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...