Wednesday, April 15, 2009

About Beards and Bracelets

Since the early 80's, hockey players have been growing playoff beards. It became a tradition started with the New York Islanders and continues to this day. Some Wings--Zetterberg, Draper, Franzen--grow GREAT beards, where others--Filppula, Hudler--might as well not even try. :) For some unknown reason (?) this year's Wings slogan for the playoffs is "The Beard is Back." (Pretty bad, if I do say so myself.) Of course, this allows puns, such as "Here We Grow Again." (Again, I don't get it.) I think they could have come up with something better, but after so many years in the playoffs, I guess they have to scrape the bottom of the barrel.

In solidarity with their team, many men will grow their own playoff beards. (K can't do this because of work restricitons. He is allowed to grow a mustache, but not a beard.) Along with the slogan, there are contests to find the best beard amongst fans, as well as players. All of this is well and good for men, but the female fans find themselves out in the cold. And then there was a solution.

While some women decide to not shave themselves during the playoffs, for some of us, that is just not going to happen. (Three months of leg and pit hair?? I don't thing so.) A lady over on one of the fan sites suggested that women use embroidery floss and tie a string on the wrist for every game: a red piece for a win and white for a loss. This worked very well for quite a few. I, however, did something more to my liking.

I made a playoff bracelet, but I only had one 'string' on my wrist. I started with hemp cord--or anything that was thin, but with a rough texture. First, I put a silver bead on to signify the President's trophy and then added a glass bead after every game: red for a win, white for a loss. I tied this on my wrist with a loose knot--that is why the cord had to be rough, so it COULD be loose. After every round, I added a silver bead to separate the series. When the Cup was finally won, I made myself a playoff bracelet of sterling silver and Swarovski crystals. I think it came out quite nicely.

So, I am beginning the 'tradition' for Stanley Cup 2009. I only hope I get another great bracelet out of the playoffs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...