Thursday, April 23, 2009

Same Old, Same Old

As far as athletes go, hockey players are some of the most superstitious people around. The Wings have a player that refuses to wear the laces on his skates more than one time. After EVERY TIME he takes his skates off, he cuts off the laces and puts on new. This includes all practices and all games. Considering they practice almost every day and they play 82 games a season, that's a lot of laces! And I won't even get into the goalies--they are a strange bunch to begin with, but THEIR superstitions...(There was one goalie who used to talk to the goalposts. Just saying.)

A lot of fans tend to be superstitious, as well. Some have to sit in a certain chair, wear a certain shirt, eat a certain meal, etc, to insure a victory for their team. I now have crossed that line. And I can't believe it. But, it is my fault--single-handedly--that the Wings had a hard time getting the job done tonight. And I hang my head in shame. :(

At the beginning of this series, I decided to wear my Filppula T-shirt to watch the game and put on my last year's playoff bracelet, along with the one I'm making this year. I had dinner made, we had eaten, and I had cleaned up by the time the game began. I was halfway through my first glass of wine by the time the puck was dropped and drank one more glass before the first period was done--and I had no more for the evening. I sat in the living room to watch the game. Between the first and second periods, I put the dishwasher going and opened the door to let the dishes air dry between the second and third periods. After the win, I sat in the computer room and placed the next bead on my playoff bracelet and posted a minimal message on this blog. I did this exact same thing the next two games and the Wings won easily. Tonight, however, things didn't go quite the same.

First, I didn't cook tonight--K went and got dinner from out. There weren't enough dishes to run the dishwasher, so I handwashed them. And I was talking on the telephone when the game started. I stopped doing the right thing and everything fell apart! I'm a despicable human being. ;) I guess I have to straighten up and fly right for the next series!

All joking aside, I really am NOT superstitious. But that won't keep me from doing everything the 'right' way for the next round! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...