Wednesday, January 03, 2007

#19 Is Retired


Steve Yzerman
"The Captain"

22 year NHL career--all with the Red Wings
Youngest player to be named 'Captain' of the Wings
Won 3 Stanley Cups
Played 1514 regular season games
With 1755 points, is #6 on the list of NHL career point leaders
Played 10 times as an All-Star
Won numerous trophies, including the Conn Smythe and the Lester Pearson Award

I, along with hockey fans across North America, watched tonight as Steve Yzerman's jersey was retired. With all of his accomplishments, Yzerman is one of the classiest and least egotistic athletes I have ever heard speak. Tonight was HIS night--tonight everyone came to praise HIM. And yet, he praised his coaches, teammates, and the fans for all of his success. There won't be another like Stevie Y. God bless.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...