Thursday, January 25, 2007

NHL All Star Game

I watched the All Star game last night--albeit, with the volume off while I was on the phone with A. :) It really turned out to be a goal-fest with the West winning 12-9 over the East. I was kind of pleased that the young upstarts (Sidney Crosby) didn't run away with the game as predicted. Experience DOES count for something--and the youngsters need to sit back and watch the veterans do what they have been doing so well for so long. It also was nice to see the West win because the best players--statistically speaking--are in the East. Just because you are an individual high scorer doesn't always mean your team is going to win--there IS something to be said for having a lot of very good players on a team as opposed to having one superstar player with a bunch of semi-good ones. All in all, I'm happy the break is over and we can get back to the second half of the season. I will be interested to see if Detroit will be getting any new players before the trade deadline in February. Rumor has it that they might look to get Peter Forsberg--hmmm, an enemy (ex-Av) and an old guy (33) and has injury problems (right foot.) Can't wait to see how this is going to play out.

2 comments:

  1. Don't you think it's weird that the all star game was held on Wednesday as apposed to the weekend? I wonder if the ratings would be better if they did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of comments have been made--not good ones, by the way--about the way the All Star game, etc, was handled this year. But then, a lot of people aren't really happy about the NHL going to the Versus network at all. Where we live, we have the luxury of seeing games--not ALL of them Detroit games--on Fox Detroit, Versus, and Canadian TV. This means games MANY times a week for us. So, to answer your question, I would imagine it would have done better for the ratings if the game was on the weekend--however, how many people actually get to watch Versus anyway? At least NBC is showing some weekend games now that football is done--on Sunday afternoon they will show the Wings and Avs. Not the rivalry it once was, but the rivalry is still there. Hopefully the ratings won't be COMPLETELY in the toilet--I still hope for a surge of fans to rise up throughout the country! :) Won't happen, though. I guess hockey will always be a niche sport.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...