Monday, April 30, 2007

Of Birthdays and Other Holidays

The month of May begins on Tuesday and that means several things for me: 1) The Mother's birthday, 2) my oldest daughter's birthday, 3) Mother's Day. I bet you can't guess where we went today!? Yes, we took a trip up-north to bring gifts.

First, we stopped at The Parent's house so that I could give The Mother her birthday and Mother's Day gifts. (I ALWAYS try to do both at once. Why make two trips when I can get away with only one?) They weren't home. Now, I don't know if that is a good or bad thing. We left the gifts at C's house for her to deliver tomorrow--which I certainly HOPE she does, because The Mother's birthday is on Tuesday--so that means I will get a phone call and have to talk to The Mother. I guess a phone conversation with her is preferable to an in-person visit. Anyway, THAT is taken care of for another year. I won't have to go back to their house till the same time next year. (I send K to bring The Father his Father's Day and birthday gifts. I'm not needed for that one.)

I was so very happy to be able to see the grandkids--they are growing so fast. I took some pictures and sure hope they turn out well. K reminded me to take the camera--as he said, 'If we wait for C to send pictures, we'll be waiting forever!'

I managed to find the perfect birthday card for C. I must tell the story behind it, first. When C was in middle school, K was walking past her room--the door was open--and he heard her singing. He looked in and there she was, in front of the mirror, singing at the top of her voice (which, by the way, is VERY good)--and she was using her HANDS as her back-up singers! NO puppets--sock or otherwise--just her hands. He laughed till he almost fell over! As C is one of the most unflappable people I have ever known--even at a young age--we have been able to tease her about this endlessly over the years. And she laughs along just as hard as the rest of us. So, the card. On the front there is a sock puppet and it says 'Happy F(bleep)ing Birthday!' And on the inside it says, 'I wanted to have my sock puppet wish you a happy birthday. I should have known better than to use a dirty sock!' I think she liked the card better than the bag of Jelly Bellys!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...