Sunday, April 15, 2007

Phone Calls, Sleeping, Husbands, and Hockey

I got a phone call at 10:00am. Now, that might not mean a whole lot to a lot of people, but to me it is a big deal because THE CALL WOKE ME UP! Yes, people, I was still in bed--and I still had two hours to go before my alarm rang. (I probably would have stayed in bed beyond noon, but the game started at 1:00pm, so...) I used to be embarrassed or ashamed to admit I have lousy sleep habits and that I LOVE to sleep during the day, but no more. See, sleeping at whatever time you want, for however long you want, is a person's reward for raising the kids and getting them the hell out of the house. I raised them, I deserve a reward! And I will sleep when I damn well please.

**********

The phone call I got this morning was from my friend--the friend who, along with her husband, is going to Chicago with us. Turns out, she was surfing the museum website and clicked on 'buy tickets online' and found out that they were sold out for Saturday morning--when we were going to go! Who ever would have thought that a museum would sell-out tickets to an exhibit?! Anyway, we changed plans quickly and decided to see the exhibit on Saturday afternoon instead, so she bought tickets on the spot. Looks like we will get to the aquarium after all (on Saturday morning)--and, if I have anything to say about it, to the Lush store! (I will feel as if I died and went to heaven when I step foot into the place.) We still haven't made plans for Sunday--we might just stay in Schaumburg and not even drive into the city. We'll see.

**********

K came home from work this afternoon--overtime again--and when he took his shoes off I noticed he wasn't wearing any socks. That isn't THAT big of a deal, but we still have snow and he NEVER goes without socks. So I asked him what was going on. His answer? 'There are no clean socks in my drawer.' I was just about to call him a liar, when I decided to go and see for myself. Sure enough, no clean socks. (He DID have dress socks, which he had to put on, but no everyday socks.) I then realized I hadn't done laundry since a week ago Saturday! This just blew me away: I actually FORGOT to do laundry! I MUST be getting old!

**********

In the previous paragraph I said 'when he took his shoes off.' K doesn't walk through the house with shoes/boots--at least not very often. I have him trained very, very well. Just another reason why I wouldn't want to get married again if something should happen--like death or divorce. I raised one, wouldn't want to raise another.

**********

So now that I have let everyone know how lucky I am with my choice of husband, now I have to complain about said hubby. My forearms are scratched and cut up today--they look like I tried, though not very well, to cut into my veins with a dull plastic knife. And here is the story.

The end of March, K went out and bought the new TV. We then decided to wait till the following payday before we bought a new stand for it. All well and good. This past Monday we went and cruised the stores, looking for what we wanted. On Wednesday, we went and bought the thing, brought it home, and propped the box up in the living room--it was a put-it-together-yourself deal. Fine, it was late, so I was okay with nothing being done. Thursday came and went, Friday came and went, and the stand STILL had not been put together. Finally, last night I decided to build me a TV stand--by myself. Actually, I thought he would take over once I started, but it didn't happen that way. It wasn't hard to do--I have actually done things like this before--it just was time consuming. And somehow, someway, I cut my arms all up. I actually think he got a flash of a guilty look on his face when he saw my arms, but I may have been imagining it. After all, he STILL hasn't removed the old TV and stand and placed the new one on the stand I built. He says he'll do it tomorrow.

**********

Earlier in this post I mentioned 'the game.' The Wings won again!!!!!! The score was 3-1 today and, once again, 'my boy' got a goal! Damn but he is going to be a star some day--and I'll be able to say 'I remember him when.' The next game is in Calgary on Tuesday. It won't be as easy of a game for the Wings--Calgary is VERY good on their home ice. We'll have to see what happens.


--Detroit Red Wings' Valtteri Filppula (51) scores over Calgary Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff of Finland in the third period of an NHL Western Conference quarterfinal playoff hockey game in Detroit, Sunday, April 15, 2007. Detroit beat Calgary 3-1 to take a 2-0 lead in the best-of-seven series. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya)

**********

Mother's Day is coming up and I have to decide whether I should tell K what I really would want as a gift. The trouble is, I don't know if he would pay the price, so I don't want to ask. Anyway, I want an authentic Red Wings' hockey jersey with Filppula's name and number on it. That's all--nothing more. And K REALLY could get it for me--after all, I got HIM his leather Red Wings jacket as a 25th-anniversary present! And the jacket cost at least twice as much as the jersey--ON SALE! Some day.

6 comments:

  1. I was still sleeping at that time myself, if you can imagine.. I actually slept in for the first time in nine months! Of course, I had to get up and beg hubby to let me sleep in, but still.. Now all evening he acts as though he's done me this huge favor.. HA! Men...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you on getting some sleep--even if it was interrupted! Yeah, men--you can't live with them and you can't live with them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to come check your page. YOur hubby reminds me of mine...in some ways (at least yours doesn't where his shoes all over the house!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a little after 9:00 am as I write this and that is very unusual for me because normally I would be sleeping. I don't know why I woke up an hour ago. I am already getting sleepy again! I am a "day sleeper" too but I blame it on the fact that I work until midnight and then I have insomnia on top of that. I don't feel guilty in the least that I sleep when I do although my mother drops hints a lot that I should be ashamed for sleeping when I do. I am not sure why it matters so much because my daughter is grown up and on her own and there is nobody here but me but I guess Mom thinks I am "sleeping my life away". She thinks I should be able to go right to sleep a couple hours after getting home from work each night. I just can't!

    ReplyDelete
  5. weatherchazer: Glad you stopped by--come again anytime! I always like visitors.

    cindi: I HEAR you when it comes to mothers! The Mother ALWAYS acted as if I was sinning against God if I happened to sleep past 10:00am! What difference did it make? If I didn't have my laundry done by 9:00am, then I was not doing things right. Why am I not allowed to do laundry in the evening if I want?

    My hubby is a shift worker, so he knows all about coming home at strange hours. I STILL have trouble watching him drink a beer at 6:30am, though. :) But, for him, it is no different than 6:30pm, so why not?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is what I have tried to explain to my Mom. I get off work at midnight and get home anywhere from 12:40 to 1:00am depending on if I have to stop at the gas station or store after work. Mom thinks I should get to bed and fall asleep shortly after coming home and get up in the morning and have the sunny day before I have to be at work at 3:30pm. When people who work days come home around 5pm they don't go to bed at 7pm. Well, I never did when I worked days! It doesn't help that I do have insomnia though. Ideally I wish I could fall asleep around 3am but unfortunately working this shift has messed me up. Many times I don't fall asleep until the sunrise and so when I go to work it is MY morning. I think Mom gets irritated because she wants to call to chit chat and I am sleeping. My parents are retired now. Maybe Mom forgets the days when she was working and had to get to bed early in order to get up at 4am for work. Back then I could never call her at 9pm because she would already be in bed. Sorry this reply is so long!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...