Tuesday, November 06, 2007

First One Is Over *UPDATED

Looks like the first snow storm of the year is winding down. While we didn't get more than a few inches here in town, a few miles north of us got 12" dumped on them. Schools were closed all over the north central part of the UP--including here in the city. The worst part of the whole thing is the fact that the snow is that wet, heavy uck--the kind that makes the roads slippery even when you are driving carefully. Quite a few minor accidents occurred--which is the norm for the first snow of the year. Our biggest traffic problem is the students. We have kids coming here who are from places that get little, if any, snow, so it is an adjustment for them when the snow starts. I stay home for a few days until they get used to it.

While there were a few power outages around the area, we only experienced several 'hiccups.' Of course, the biggest one happened while I was in the shower. I was so afraid the lights would go out in the middle of shampooing--can't find anything in a bathroom that has no lights AND no window! Luckily, the winds are diminishing and the snow is down to flurries, so we might get to keep our power.

I guess winter is finally here--the forecast calls for snow every day for the next few. Yay.

*UPDATE: I guess I got ahead of myself here. We now have a snow, blowing snow, and wind advisory. The waves on the lake are supposed to be 15-20 feet. We're supposed to get 2-5 more inches of lake effect snow.

Again, as long as the power doesn't go out, I am fine. But, it looks as if we will have some snow every day for the rest of the week. I really don't think we will have too much of an accumulation, though.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:56 AM

    You need to move back to the Keweenaw, it all missed us! Have a few inches on the ground and a lot of wind, but nothing to slow us down! Miss living in town on a hill during the first storm-very entertaining with the students thinking they could just drive up!! Wish I had time to stop when I am down, Mom is not doing very well, so spend every minute I can with her.........

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, K has gone out many a times to help push someone out of the slush because they don't know how to drive in snow! :)

    They have updated the weather forecast AGAIN and the snow should be diminishing today. AND it should be getting warmer over the next several days, so everything will be melting and we can do this all over again later. Weather in the UP--how fun is that?! :D

    (Sorry to hear about your mom--I completely understand about your time.)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...