Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Thirteen Things ( Plus One)

Last week, burg did a Thursday Thirteen post about '13 products I love or make my life easier.' Well, I thought I would put my own spin on the Thursday 13 and came up with this:

13 Things I Can't Live Without! (and yes, I realize it isn't Thursday--deal with it!)

1. computer--I try to imagine my life without the computer--or even what my life was like before getting a computer--and I can't. My computer--and the internet--have become such a big part of my life every day that I don't know what I would do without it. Both of my girls agree that life would be quite difficult without computers. Granted, computers can be great sources of frustration, but without them, how would we ever be able to find out about slugs, snot, and Anna Nicole Smith's last moments of life?

2. phone--Without my phone, I would never have contact with my girls--or the one person in my family who still talks to me. The girls and I have marathon talk-fests and it's almost like they were actually here. Sometimes it is hard to be so far away from them. Other times...:) The Mother's cousin is the only person from either side of my family who talks to me--and she lives in Arizona. So, without the phone, I wouldn't have any contact with my family.

3. VCR--I would love to add DVR to this, but we don't have one. (Frankly, I won't get a DVR until the size of the box is smaller--it would take up too much of my counter space in the kitchen.) I guess we could get TiVo, or somesuch, but why bother. Right now, the VCRs work just as well for me. I don't watch TV in real time, so the VCRs are a necessity for me. And it is inevitable, whenever K is awake and I'm watching something on TV, he will always come into the kitchen at the most critical time during a show and begin talking to me. If it wasn't for tapes and DVDs, I would never know what was going on in most of the programs I watch.

4. music--Music has always played such a big part of my life. While I might not have the WIDEST range in musical tastes, I do have a variety of interests. I own CDs from Brian Adams to Meatloaf. I own Mozart to Led Zepplin. Barry Manilow and BB King both are part of my collection. Whatever mood I am in, I can find music to compliment, sooth, or enhance my feelings.

5. books--Just the thought of giving up ANY of my books can cause a panic attack. I own way too many books--a lot of which I probably will never look at again--but I love the feeling of owning books. The first time I owned a hardcover book was in high school--I thought I was the richest person on earth to own such a treasure. And I still feel that way today. I love to read and I love owning books. It is my life-long dream to have a house big enough to designate one room as 'the library.' I don't think it will ever happen, however. :(

6. coffee--Several years ago, when I was asked how many cups of coffee I drink per day, I would laugh. I never drank CUPS of coffee, I drank POTS! Three pots a day was not unusual for me. In the last couple of years, however, I have cut my consumption down to one pot or less a day. But, I will never give up my coffee completely. I couldn't call myself a good Finn if I did!

7. coke--That is 'coke' as in Coca-Cola, not as in 'cocaine.' :) One of the reasons I don't drink as much coffee these days is because I have increased my consumption of Coke. I guess I have to get my caffeine fix some way.

8. Birkenstocks--I don't think I actually COULD give up 'ikey-dikey Birkies'* even if I wanted to. I have worn them for so many years that my feet just don't find 'regular' shoes comfortable anymore. And besides, they are so comfortable, I wouldn't WANT to stop wearing them.

9. sewing machine--While I don't sew as much as I used to, I would be lost without my sewing machine--if for no other reason than for repairing clothing. K brings his work clothes home for me to repair a few times a year and it definitely helps cut down on the cost of buying. Also, it is nice to be able to fix small problems--without a machine, most of the clothing would have to be thrown away. However, I wasn't real thrilled with the last batch of repairs I had to do: K brought home his works socks and had me fix them. I thought THAT was going overboard a little.

10. indoor plumbing--Now, don't laugh, but there still are places here in the UP that don't have indoor plumbing--something I just can't imagine. As a matter of fact, the roadside rest areas here in the UP are ALL outdoor/non-flush toilets! You don't find ME using them unless it is an absolute EMERGENCY!!!!! I always have said that it would have been amazing to have been at Woodstock, but I could NEVER have made it that many days without a shower or real toilet!

11. post-it notes--I would be absolutely lost without post-its. Especially at my computer desk, I have little pieces of paper stuck all over the place--just little reminders of things I have to do. Considering I suffer 'half-heimers,' it is surprising I don't have MORE post-its hanging around.

12. sticky lint rollers--Having a long-haired cat, lint rollers are essential to my life. I use these things so much that I buy them by the 8-pack at Sam's Club. Sadly, the last few times we were shopping at Sam's, there were no lint rollers to be found. I guess I will have to buy them one at a time till they make a return appearance at the Club.

13. a vehicle--While we DO have taxis and a bus service here in town, they are no where near as convenient as having my own vehicle. I don't often go out during the day, but it is nice to know that I can if I want/need to. I just couldn't imagine life without a vehicle of my own.

Bonus: hockey--You just KNEW I had to mention it, didn't you? :) Actually, hockey is such a nice pasttime here in the land of ice and snow, that I'm glad I found my love of it again. Through the dark days and even darker nights of winter, having a passion and something to look forward to is a real asset. Too many people here suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder)--I am one with the tendencies--so it is great to have something fun to do. Besides, I don't participate in all of the outdoor winter activities, so I must have SOMETHING to do during our long winter season.

*I don't mean to offend--this is just the way we have always referred to them.

3 comments:

  1. Wow, that much coffee? You sound like Poppers. He counts in pots as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I had to cut down the coffee because my GYN said it was contributing to my having to 'go' all the time. I didn't need to get up all night long to run to the bathroom. Surprisingly, that is the only problem I ever had with coffee--it never kept me awake at night. Actually, the last thing I always did before going to bed was to have a cup of coffee--I guess that, too, contributed to the running to the bathroom all night. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good list!

    I'm still without a coffee pot. I hate it. My tea consumption has more than doubled.

    I also love my DVR, but it is a huge box..

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...