Saturday, August 02, 2008

It's Hard To Say Goodby

It is always a sad day when one has to break it off with a friend who has outlived all usefulness. Years of closeness, keeping of secrets, going everywhere together--all has come to an end. But I must move on.

Okay, before you start feeling sorry for me, I must explain. My friend is not a person OR a pet--it is my Palm Zire 72. After four+ years, I have had to put it to rest. It doesn't want to keep a charge anymore and the thing is just too darn big. It is more than twice as big as my cell phone and it feels like a brick sitting in my purse. And frankly, I don't use it very much anymore. Other than using the calendar to schedule appointments, it just sits.

The Zire is the third or fourth Palm I have owned--can't remember for sure. When I got my first one, I thought it was the greatest invention ever. I carried around every piece of vital information I could possibly ever need PLUS I always had a game or two on it for whenever I got bored. With my Zire I also had a music player--which I only used a couple of times--and a camera--which I ALWAYS forgot I had. I had a program where I could write Word documents and much, much more. It was my lifeline and I always felt 'naked' without it.

It is unbelievable to think that the Zire had more processing power than our first computer. And yet, it seems so slow to me these days. My cell phone does things faster--even though it is in a much different way. The last couple of days I have transferred all of my contacts, calendar, etc, to my phone so that the Zire can retire in peace. I will have to be satisfied with the differences between the phone and the Zire--that is until Nokia comes out with a smartphone!

Rest in peace, my friend. I'll miss you!

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:32 PM

    aw. Goodbye Zire

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really is sad that technology changes so dang fast--I would have loved if the Zire would have served me for several more years. :(

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...