Wednesday, August 27, 2008

This Could Be Trouble

As I mentioned earlier this year, some of my ancestors are Sami. I have been reading about the Sami culture and history off and on since then. One of the aspects of the culture is jewelry making--specifically bracelets. They use reindeer hide, pewter thread, and reindeer antlers. And I found a website where I can get 'inspired' or authentic bracelets made by present-day Sami artisans. Oh, boy. I ordered my first one already--it is the black one:


This style is an 'inspired' one--not traditional.

My next bracelet--and yes, I will be buying more--will be an authentic/conforming-to-ancient-tradition one:


I'm also thinking of one in an ancient pattern, such as this:


I decided to start out conservatively and get the thinnest one I could--I have to be very careful with my overly sensitive skin. I'm hoping I won't be allergic or otherwise not able to wear these. I can see wearing at least three of these as a 'stack' at the same time. Hmmm. I guess I have some serious saving up to do. :)

Hockey season better get here quickly--I have too much time on my hands and I can get into big trouble!

For more bracelets and other Sami-made items, go to NORDartDESIGN.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous12:47 PM

    those are awesome....but not as awesome as the ones you made for me!

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I REALLY love hand-crafted things--they just are so special. And it is even more special to think that one of my 'relatives' might be making a bracelet I buy!

    Thank you! {blushing}

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:19 PM

    Aw. You rule and you know it!

    But yeah, there is something so special about hand crafted presents!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...