Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Time With Stanley


You can tell it is the off-season with the lack of real hockey stories. But, then, this IS about My Boy, so indulge me!

On Monday and Tuesday, VF had his time with the Stanley Cup. He brought it to his home town of Vantaa, which is a suburb of Helsinki. This isn't the first time the Cup has been in the area, however--Teemu Selanne brought it to Helsinki last year. I'm not sure just how many Finns have won the Cup over the years. The whole thing was well covered by the press--and it is all in Finn. With a little bit of translating luck, a site here in Michigan was able to get the gist of what was going on in the videos and articles. Finnish is one of the most difficult languages to learn and even the 'translator' programs online aren't able to do much with it, so what actually is going on is just a guess. However, after reading the 'translation' and watching the videos, I was able to recognize some words and the person who 'translated' seems to have done a decent job. VF was asked about his new contract (he isn't sure how he will spend his $15 million) and whether he was planning on taking the Cup for a sauna (he is) among other things.

I LOVE listening to the Finnish language--I think part of what is so fascinating to me is the fact that it is spoken so quickly. Natural-born Finns talk so fast that I don't know many people here who could follow along with a conversation, despite their life-long use of the language! And for that reason--and the fact that Baby Boy is so damn cute--I post this video of one of his interviews:

http://www.hs.fi/videot/1135238352710

(By the way, don't you just LOVE all of the little blond Finnish kids in the pic? Just what so many of the kids look like around here! :))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...