Monday, August 18, 2008

Let's Get Ready To Ramble

It feels like fall. The temperature is 20+ degrees less than it was yesterday--unbelievable. Now, I'm not sad if we have an early fall, but this is freaking crazy.

**********

I found out on Saturday--it was just announced that day--that the Eagles will be in Green Bay the day before we see them in Minneapolis. Great. It will take us eight hours to get to Minneapolis and it takes us three hours to get to Green Bay. Just where do you think we would have traveled if we had had a choice on the day I bought the tickets? The only good thing about going to the Twin Cities is the fact that A and her husband will be with us. That is worth the travel time.

**********

This past weekend I ate calamari. THAT is one sentence I NEVER thought I would say. It was a bit chewy and tasted like Mrs. Paul's fish sticks--or the fish sticks we used to get in school. I'm not sure which. While it wasn't TOO bad, I still think the only place for octopus is in the ocean or on the ice at a Red Wings' game. I won't go out of my way to eat it again, but I probably won't run away screaming if I'm ever served it. Kind of interesting.

**********

I have a wonky thyroid, so that is why I was always cold. Having a medically-induced menopause caused me to have hot flashes and heat sensitivity. I always figured putting the two together would make me feel 'normal' in terms of temperature. Didn't happen. I have turned from being very cold all of the time to not being able to handle ANY kind of heat whatsoever. That is one of the reasons I hate it when the temp is above 68. When we were out of town this weekend, it was very close to 90--I was NOT happy.

My friend cannot handle cold of any kind and this weekend was no different. Every time we walked into a place that was air conditioned, she put on a sweater and mentioned how cold she was. (I STILL think if she would eat a sandwich once in a while and put on a couple of pounds, she would do much better. She is VERY thin.) Anyway, at one point I turned to her and said, "If you don't stop it already, I'm going to do something to make you understand just what the phrase 'bitch slap' means." We both got a good laugh out of it, but I'm not REALLY sure I wasn't serious! ;)

**********

Other than being a good emotional support, there is another reason why I talk/spend time with females I am close to. Talking to other women and being around them and their significant others gives me a chance to see how others live. And to compare K with other men. I told K a few days ago that I am SO happy to be married to him--if I was married to some of the other men I know, I would have committed murder within six months of the wedding.

I am not, in any way, saying these men are not good. They all have their good points, otherwise why would the women I know be with them? They just so happen to be suited to one another--but DEFINITELY not for me. And I am sure the other women I know must feel the same about K. It is true that there is someone for everyone. I'm just happy I found my 'someone.'

7 comments:

  1. My cousin's first husband was a big a-hole, but earlier in their relationship, we didn't know how big.. He only had one testicle (coincidence?).. I told her once that if we were to switch husbands for a weekend that hers would come back with his ball shoved down his throat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burg, you always know the right thing to say... you romantic you.

    Cold--hate the cold. I go outside when I am at work and it is 90 out so I can offset the effects of the FRIGID 74 degrees that is our office. Wear sweaters in the winter and summer. And I eat lots of sandwiches...

    I like the word "wonky".

    ReplyDelete
  3. burg: It is amazing how some women actually pick men to be with, isn't it? I often wonder what their criteria is/was.

    kristi: Of course, you ARE right about eating and being cold. When I was cold, I ate and was overweight--it just was my thyroid causing the problems. However, I still think if my friend had even an ounce of fat on her bones, it would go a long way towards helping her cold problem. :) I have to have SOME reason not to hate her for being skinny. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "If you don't stop it already, I'm going to do something to make you understand just what the phrase 'bitch slap' means."

    HAAAAAA! I so love girlfriends you can say this to!!!

    And you didn't dig the calamari huh? I love that stuff so much! I think that I could reside at a sushi establishment. mmmmmmm! There are a few things that skeeve me out but not much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ann(ie): Even though my friend is much taller than me, I have the weight 'advantage' and can pack quite a wallop! I think she might have been a little frightened. ;)

    I don't do seafood AT ALL, so the fact I even TASTED the calamari was a victory of some sort. When it comes to food, my motto is: If it was on the hoof, I'll eat it. Unless it was a sheep. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous11:25 AM

    I can only imagine you "bitch slapping" That was funny to me and I wasn't even there!


    I am also ALWAYS freezing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. meleah: I may be short, but I am mighty, so I could do a real good job of 'bitch slapping' someone. :)

    I have had the displeasure of being too cold and too hot--I still am not sure which one I would rather be! At least when I was cold, I could ADD some clothes to help get warm, but now that I'm hot, I can only take so much off. :D Always something for me to bitch about.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...