Monday, August 18, 2008

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Remember when we had to write a paper with that title whenever we went back to school in the fall? I NEVER had anything interesting to write--the last vacation I remember taking with The Family was when I was 8-years-old. Now, at my advanced age, I came so very close to having the ultimate 'what I did on summer vacation' story. Alas, it didn't happen.

Before the Eagles concert came up, K and I were supposed to be in St Paul this weekend. We decided not to go because we'll be there next month, so we took one of our regular road trips instead. I had made our reservation for Saturday and let our friends know we were going to be in town and everything was normal. Then, on Friday, I got a phone call. "How would you like to see the Stanley Cup?" my friend asked me. I don't think I was able to answer. As it turned out, her husband works at a veteran's facility and Brian Rafalski was going to be there with the Cup on Saturday morning. Excitement, anticipation, ecstasy...words don't describe.

K and I were on the road shortly after 6:00 AM on Saturday so that we could get there in time for the viewing. Just before 10:00 AM, we got to our friends' house--just in time to get to where the Cup was. As it turned out, they weren't ready to leave, but rather assured us that we would get there in time to meet Rafalski. I guess it made sense that he would stick around for at least an hour, so we had plenty of time. WRONG!!! When we finally got there, we had missed him and the Cup by ten minutes. The whole visit was only announced internally at the facility--no newspaper, no TV or radio--and he stayed until he had greeted everyone that was there when he arrived. He just figured that was it, so he left. (He also had other obligations, so...) And I missed it.

I still can't believe that we were so close to the Cup and didn't get to see it. I was going to get my picture taken with it and everything. WAHHHHH!!!!! I'm trying to be a big girl and suck it up, but I'm still disappointed. I must keep telling myself, "Everything happens for a reason." Maybe the first Red Wing autograph I get has to be from my Baby Boy! Just a thought. :)

6 comments:

  1. I am so sorry! That would have been cool to see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, it would have been cool. But, I'm trying to get over it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:36 PM

    Oh man..I'd be pissed off!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That thought DID occur to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was hard to read. Wow, do I feel for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your sympathy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...