Sunday, July 06, 2008

Now I Know


--The Saami flag--

One thing that came out of going to my family reunion, is the knowledge that I am descended from the Saami people. The old, politically incorrect name was Lapps. The Saami live in the northernmost regions of Scandinavia and Russia. In Finland, 'Lapland' is where Santa Clause 'lives' and the Saami raise reindeer. Actually, reindeer herding, fishing, and hunting are traditional main occupations among the Saami--and the majority of the reindeer in Finland are owned by them. A good portion of the Saami--maybe the majority--live north of the Arctic Circle. There is no agreement as to where the Saami originated.

From the pictures I have seen, I guess I know why I don't look like the 'traditional' Scandinavian--blonde hair, blues eyes, fair skin. I am medium brunette (at least my natural color), green eyes, and my skin has a very definite olive undertone. I guess this also explains why I like living in the northern regions and really dislike the heat! :)

For anyone interested, here are a few links--it is a very fascinating read:

The Saami--Virtual Finland

World Culture Encyclopedia

Wikipedia

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:27 PM

    I wish I knew more about my own linage. Thats pretty cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the reason I know so much is because I am 'pure.' At least as pure as anyone can be in the modern times. :) I find the whole thing so very fascinating--glad my youngest is all over this stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Caring for reindeer?? Is this your fancy way of telling us that you're an elf??

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA, HA, HA!!!! As far as height goes, I guess I'm not that far off from being an elf. :) It would be really cool to actually own a reindeer--they are so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:28 AM

    I don't suppose you have a personal "in" with Rudolph? can I get an autograph? or an autohoofgraph?

    It sounds like you'd do well in a warm climate-olive skin tans and doesn't burn quickly like my fair, freckled skin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll see what I can do about the autograph! ;)

    My skin DOES tan easily--the only time I have ever even gotten a bit red/pink is when I have been down south and in the sun all day long. It makes it MUCH easier for me to do the tanning salon. My hubby, on the other hand, is TOTALLY fair-skinned--he only burns, peels, burns, peels, etc, all summer long if he doesn't watch it.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...