Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Missing

My world has been a bit off of 'normal' the last few days. Things should be back to normal tomorrow, but then K goes on vacation again for two weeks, so it's back to being 'abby-normal' again.

Last Thursday I jumped in the Jimmy to come home from tanning and the vehicle was D.E.A.D!!! NOTHING! I drove it THERE, was in the salon for less than 30 minutes, and it was dead when I tried to go home. Great--and it was the start of a holiday weekend, so we couldn't get it fixed for a few days. K came to pick me up and then called to see if the shop would tow it, but the head of the service department said it sounded like the battery was dead. Well, sure enough, K jumped the thing and we got it home. Trouble was, he couldn't get the battery out himself so we weren't able to get it in the shop till today. While it was getting repaired, K figured they might as well do an oil change and change the serpentine belt at the same time. He also mentioned the 'chirping' sound that the Jimmy makes--especially on wet days--and asked them to check it out. Well, they called and said the 'chirping' was the alternator and would cost us $350 to fix! AAARRRGGGHHH!!! Thankfully K talks to the repair people because he remembered that the alternator was fixed one other time and that there is a lifetime guarantee on it, so they looked it up and, sure enough, we only have to pay for the labor. I'm sure they would have caught it themselves, but still... Anyway, because the alternator is an OEM part, they had to order it and I won't have my vehicle done until sometime tomorrow--I hope. While I don't go somewhere EVERY day, I like having a vehicle to use if I NEED to go. Right now I am bummed cause I can't go to the grocery store. THAT is one statement I NEVER thought I would make. :)

Monday I saw the ophthamologist for another follow-up on my LASIK. Everything is fine and he thinks things will continue to improve. There are a couple of dry areas still, but he is confident that those are temporary. He said all is as perfect as can be and has healed to the point that any doctor would probably have to be LOOKING to see I had the surgery done. Thank goodness. I see him again in November and if all is okay I probably won't see him again for six months--and then the post-op appointments will be done.

Today I went in for my follow-up mammogram and ultrasound. The doctor is confident that all they are seeing is a cyst/cysts and I have nothing to worry about. I am now back on my regular yearly schedule. That is definitely a load off my mind.

No confirmation on the Winter Classic being between the Wings and Blackhawks. Holland just said they are 'interested' in playing the game. I figure he isn't saying more because it isn't his story to announce. I really think it is going to happen. Nothing more being said about signing Baby Boy, either. I don't know what the problem is--I sure hope he isn't holding things up by asking for too much. I wouldn't think that is the case, as he has said he wants to stay in Detroit, but...

The strawberry crop is finally ready, so K can go north to do some buying! No matter where strawberries come from, the only ones that actually have any taste--at least to me--are the ones that are grown 'back home.' It will be good to have them--we didn't get any from back home last year. My mouth is watering as I think about fresh strawberries. YUM--doesn't get much better than that.

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:45 AM

    What's an OEM? This is the second acronym I've encountered today that I didn't know-the other one was HOV (in a newspaper article). I think I'm slipping.

    Glad everything's fine with your eyes and mammograms. If it were me, I'd want a biopsy done just to be sure-I'm so pessimistic.

    Strawberries!! What will you do with 'em besides eat 'em? I love strawberry shortcake. Yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooooh... Fresh strawberries!!! Yum!

    What is normal? ;P

    I left something for you, come see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. janet: OEM means 'original equipment manufacturer'--as in 'very expensive parts you must buy from the dealer/GM/Ford, etc, etc, etc.' :) One of the best sites I have used is acronymfinder.com--any time you find one of those annoying acronyms you can PROBABLY find the meaning on this site.

    and burg, also: I WILL be doing some strawberry shortcake, of course. I usually freeze some of the berries so we can have them during the winter and if I can find any rhubarb, I will make strawberry-rhubarb 'velli.' Velli is a Finnish word that translates as 'gruel'--kind of disgusting sounding--but 'velli' is actually like a fruit soup. I have made one batch so far this summer--using frozen berries--and can't wait to do another when we get the fresh ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:34 PM

    car troubles suck ass.

    I didnt know you go tanning? I love to go tanning it's like the best alone time ever.

    Thank God its only cysts. That really IS a relief.

    Good luck at the eye doctors office.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. meleah: I basically do the tanning to help my psoriasis. I LOVE the alone time, but the biggest benefit, I think, is that it helps me with SAD during the winter. I can FEEL the tension flowing out of me as I stand in the light.

    And I agree, car troubles suck ass. I got my Jimmy back today--and I am a happy camper! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have been very busy. A car that does not break down needs to be invented, but then I would kinda be out of a job...

    ReplyDelete
  7. The BEST thing about the vehicle breaking down is I can--eventually--convince K that we need a new one. I've got my eye on an Equinox in a dark blue that would look VERY good with me driving it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:32 PM

    yeay. Im glad you have your car back.

    Tanning RULES and I can se why that would help the SAD in the cold wintery months.

    PS: Strawberries are awesome. Except that Id break out into hives just looking at them!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yummm...strawberries

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...