Wednesday, July 02, 2008

How To Strain A Marriage

K and I went house shopping today. This is the first step to--hopefully--getting a new home built two years from now. I hope our marriage can survive. There will be TONS of compromising and my giving in to what he wants, but I think it will all be worth it if we can get the deal done.

The house we are in now is old--and not in the best condition. It was moved here from another location and there is definite structural damage--and it is next to impossible to fix. We love our location, so we will have this place torn down and put up a new house in its place. I am actually letting myself get a bit excited--we have talked about this for years and it looks like it might finally be able to happen. Yet, I will be a bit sad to see this house go--we raised our girls here and it holds lots of memories. BUT, there are very bitter, sad memories here along with the good, so it might not be such a bad idea to have a fresh start.

On first look, we REALLY liked the model home--with the upgrades that were done--so we have a starting point. LOTS to think about over the next year or two! Here is the house we saw today:


Of course, this is just a starting place. For one, The floor plan wouldn't work on our lot the way we would like unless it was flip-flopped in different ways. But this is all the kinds of things we will have to figure out. How much fun is this?

9 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:54 AM

    I like the one-story plan, Mom would love to be in a house with no stairs. (I would too.) Where would you live while the house is being built?

    ReplyDelete
  2. While I would LOVE to build a two-story--more house for the same/less money--we ARE getting older and the one-story is much better for us. We probably would have to live in one of the apartment complexes in the area--some of them have short-term rentals. I believe that is because of visiting doctors and professors that come to our university and medical center. THAT is probably the thing I dread the most about the whole thing: having to move into a place short-term. But, that too shall pass. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always dreamed of having a one-story house. That house plan looks perfect for two. If I were tearing down my oldie and building a newie I would take some of the old and put it in the new, like some wood or tile or something in an arty-type project. Wouldn't that be cool?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know for sure that I WILL take the basement door--that is where we measured the girl's heights throughout the years.

    This is a very nice sized house--however, we WILL kind of rattle around in it for a while: it has 500+ sq ft MORE than what we are living in now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! I think if you have multiple bathrooms in any home most marriages can survive. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. And considering there are two sinks in the master bath! Priceless!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous4:21 PM

    Oh sweety, that looks lovely. Im sure your marriage will survive! im very excited for you.

    xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. It IS very exciting--if we manage to pull it off. This is the best I feel about the possibility of us being able to go forward!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved drawing up plans and looking at houses... so much so, I dreamed and did so for years before we were able to finally build. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...