Monday, July 28, 2008

6 Things I'm Proud Of Meme

Janet tagged me for this one. I won't tag anyone specifically, but it would be interesting to read what ALL of my readers have to say--go for it!

Here are my six--in no particular order.

1. I am extremely proud of my Finnish heritage. The Finnish people are amazing and I am glad to be one of them. The amount of 'sisu' they have has been passed to me--I DO hang in there for the long haul! It takes a special kind of person to live in the harsh climates of Finland AND they DID beat the Russians during the Winter War. For whatever reason, the Finns were looked at as 'lacking' and 'dumb' by the Southern European peoples that also lived where I grew up. Don't know why, but that was the way it was. Many people that I grew up with turned their backs on their Finnish heritage and only 'remembered' another branch of their family, but I never did. And, considering I am 100% Finn, I guess I couldn't turn my back on my 'Finn-ness.' :) (And this in no way makes me any less proud to be an American. THAT is something so very different in my mind.)

2. I am proud to say that I have been married only once and that we have been married for 35 years this October. (Please, I am NOT dissing anyone who has been divorced.) I guess my 'sisu' is at work on this accomplishment. :) There have been several times when I thought we wouldn't make it, but we have. We love each other just as much--probably more--as when we got married, but it is a different kind of love. We now are comfortable with each other--and that isn't bad. We like to spend time together, but we also can spend time apart--there isn't that 'neediness' associated with our early years. That being said, I can't imagine life without K--and I hope I never have to know what it would be like.

3. I am proud of my daughters. While there were some VERY rough times with each one--times where there was NO communication at all--we did come through it stronger and closer. Both of my girls have amazing musical abilities that I envy beyond words and they each have personalities that I would die for. Whenever I see them in social situations, I take notes--they are who I want to be! I am proud to see a little of myself in each one--it shows that I DID teach them some things. I am constantly amazed whenever I see them doing something I used to do, something I was SURE they never GOT--I didn't do too badly as a mother, after all.

4. I am proud of the things I can do--and the fact that so many of them I taught myself. I am a very good seamstress--and I taught myself to sew. On an old treadle sewing machine! I am very good at crocheting--something my oldest friend and I taught ourselves to do out of boredom. I embroider, make jewelry, bake, cook, scrapbook, etc--all things I taught myself. Most of what I know about computers I taught myself. The gardens I have planted have been a learning experience--and I taught myself. (I must admit I had one GORGEOUS mum garden before I killed it. Oops--nothing to be proud of, I guess.) I also do floral arranging, but I have taken classes for that. :)

5. I am proud that I have broken free of my family. Now, many will find that statement awful, but read on. All my life had been about family and being together. But, it was IMMEDIATE family only--The Parents, The Brother and his family, and my family. That is all--NO extended family whatsoever--unless it was someone from The Mother's family that she thought was worthy. And the 'wanting to be together' was out of guilt, not out of any desire to be there. The Mother is a pro when it comes to making people feel guilty. I broke away and am much happier today. Which leads me to the last point...

6. I am proud that I am no longer under The Mother's power. The world sees her as a wonderful, loving, caring, giving woman who would do anything for you that she could. And, yes, that describes her to a 'T'--except to those who see her 'behind the scenes.' She will give of herself, do volunteer work, have people over, but she bitches, pisses, and moans the entire time to those she is closest to. She is also the most manipulative person I have ever known. The 'dirty work' I have done for her because of her manipulation is amazing. I have made enemies because of her. I have made phone calls and told people to leave her alone because 'her nerves can't take it' and I have come off as the bitch of the world--the whole while she sits and has EVERYONE--including the person I bitched out--feel sorry for her. She is so good at manipulation, that most people don't even realize it is happening. I have seen her 'interrogate' people and they tell her things--GLADLY--that they possibly wouldn't even tell a therapist--and she gets away with it ALL OF THE TIME! BUT, I found the strength to break free of her--and am living a much healthier, happier life.

I know I could have written about any of the volunteer jobs I have had or any number of selfless things I have done--there HAVE been a couple :)--but I thought these would make a much more interesting read. AND it gave a bit more insight into me.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous6:56 PM

    You sure have things to be proud of, and if that were me, I'd be proud too! This is a great list, and thanks for sharing this with us. And, next time you're feeling low, come back and read this again, it'll boost you up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still want to be married in 35 years, but I'll settle for not killing J over the next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. janet: Thank you very kindly!

    burg: Hey, I might love my hubby but that doesn't mean I DON'T want to kill him! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...