Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Masks

I find goalie masks to be absolutely fascinating--and could even be considered quite beautiful in some cases. I guess my fascination began way back when Gerry Cheevers was the goalie for the Boston Bruins. His mask looked like this:


Cheevers was the first goalie to decorate his mask. After he took a shot to his face during practice, the trainer painted stitches on the mask where he would have gotten cut if he hadn't been wearing a mask. After that, stitches were added after every face shot. And that was the beginning.

I believe every goalie in the NHL--as well as college, etc--has a painted mask these days. That is, except for Chris Osgood from Detroit. He now stands out because of the lack of artwork--which he prefers. Not much to look at, but unique.


Most goalie masks have some meaning for the wearer. Some are deeply personal and most have a connection to the team he plays for. ALL are very interesting, colorful, and, no doubt, horrendously expensive!

Cam Ward--Carolina Hurricanes


Manny Fernandez--Boston Bruins


Rick DiPietro--New York Islanders


Nikolai Khabibulin--Chicago Blackhawks


Manny Legace--St. Louis Blues


Josh Harding--Minnesota Wild


You can find a photo-gallery of 39 masks here--these were from last season. Here is another gallery from SI--from a couple of years ago, I think. You will find some of the same masks and a few different ones. Some of the goalies pictured in these galleries are no longer in the NHL or with the teams listed. Always changing.

As I said, there are reasons for what is painted on a goalie's mask and here you can find the stories behind some. (Click on the picture to zoom in and read the captioning.) A very interesting read.

And for the person who wants even MORE to look at, here is a listing of past masks. Again, some are just amazing.

6 comments:

  1. I remember watching hockey as a child and the masked man always scared me. This was even before the Friday the 13th movies!
    Wow, those new masks are really cool, I especially like the roaring tiger(?)one--and I really like the name Manny Fernandez.
    Ok I'm done now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:22 AM

    The helmet-masks look like the ones race car drivers wear. I'm glad to see they've upgraded beyond the Freddy Kruger mask, whenever I stumbled upon hockey on TV I worried about the goalie getting a puck to the head. Interesting decorations, much better than all the sponsor logos plastered over race car helmets.

    ReplyDelete
  3. janet: I agree on the Freddy Kruger masks, they WERE scary! I also hope there isn't much to worry about anymore with getting a puck to the head: I read that Hasek's mask cost $1000+ and that was WITHOUT the paint-job! For that money, it BETTER protect well. :)

    kristi: Aren't some of the names neat? Another one I like is Jose Theodore: and Jose is pronounced 'Joe-say,' NOT 'Ho-say.' :)

    Manny's mask is a bear, I guess, and it is really cool--great colors. I like the 'tribute' masks, also, that DiPietro, Legace, and to a lesser degree, Harding have. Great sentiments.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:37 PM

    Wow. These are like real works of art.

    I love the 1st one the most. I dont know why..I guess I have a thing for hard core scars like that.

    I know I am one strange bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't the first always the best? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Way back in the late 1960s I was a High school goalie hoping to make varsity team when I had the wonderful opportunity to meet and have my mask made by the incredible Ernie Higgins. He began designing and crafting his masks for his goalie son Neil which led to his design becoming what every schoolboy hockey goalie wanted for their mask. I received the early full facemask edition as Boston Bruins goaltender Ed Johnston got the first one due to an errant puck hitting him in the side of his head during practice. Many NHL goalies wore a Higgins mask before the wire cage became required.. What a kind and caring man he was and would love to see more about the man who saved so many faces!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...