Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Dead Wings

While the Wings don't really deserve to be called their nickname from the 80s, the way they played last night was absolutely abysmal. In a 6-1 loss, one of the top 4 teams in the NHL lost to the worst team, Philadelphia. (Sorry, RT, but that IS their record. :|) It took me an entire 24 hours to actually process what I saw--and I'm STILL not sure what went on. The Flyers ran over Detroit and there is nothing more to be said about it. I guess some would blame Joey MacDonald for his work in the net, but it wasn't all his fault. He is, after all, young and new to the NHL--he just didn't have much help from the rest of the team. I really doubt Hasek or Ozzie would have done a whole lot better with the lack of support.

So, what is it that the Wings need to do in order to take their play up a notch? First and foremost, I believe they need to get one or two players that are willing to get physical. I am not talking about becoming a clone of Philadelphia when they were the 'Broad Street Bullies,' I am just saying they need someone to intimidate and protect. Philadelphia went after Detroit's goalie, as well as several Wing players, and there was NO ONE on Detroit's team to say, 'BACK OFF!' Yes, Detroit needs Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, etc, to make the beautiful plays and goals, but finesse isn't all there is to the game. Teams all through the NHL know that Detroit is all about finesse and little physicality--this leads to Detroit being pushed around and getting run over. It's time that the powers that be get with it and bring someone in that will take care of the star players. It's time for Detroit to start intimidating, not just look good!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...