Thursday, February 08, 2007

Let's Talk Manners

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who don't send thank you notes. I am not talking getting a little pissed, I am talking I WANT TO RIP THEIR F*****G HEADS OFF! Where did this tirade of mine come from all of a sudden? We FINALLY received a thank you from one of The Nieces for the wedding gift we sent--for their SEPTEMBER wedding! Granted, I actually GOT a thank you, but why so late? And, no, it is NOT true that you have an entire year after getting married in which to send out the notes. The rule of 'as fast as possible' still applies to wedding 'thank yous' as well as any others.

While I was growing up, I had to call everyone who sent me a birthday card with money. (Gifts were few and far between for the birthday.) At Christmas, I had to call everyone who gave me a gift. This was the rule, this I had to obey. (I think The Mother didn't make me WRITE thank you notes because it cost money to buy them and then to send them. My opinion.) Whatever way it was done, I was EXPECTED to acknowledge a gift and thank for it--even the $1 bill one of my VERY cheap aunts always sent.

From the time my girls were old enough to hold a pencil, they 'wrote' thank you notes. Granted, the first ones were ones I wrote and they scribbled their 'names' on. Then, I wrote the notes and they actually signed them. The next step: I wrote out a sample note which they then copied in their own handwriting. And, finally, they were on their own to write the notes by themselves. To this day, they continue to write thank you notes for gifts they receive--and quite beautiful ones, I have been told. (They are very hit-and-miss when it comes to sending notes to me. I have accepted this as long as they remember to send to everyone else.)

The Brother and his family hardly ever send thank you notes. I am still waiting for thank yous from his three oldest daughters for their graduation gifts--as well as YEARS of other gifts we have given that family. These graduations were in 2001, 2003, and 2004 (or '05)--I don't think they will be coming. Their youngest--our goddaughter--gets a note out to us once every few years. No note this year for the Christmas OR birthday gifts. (Last year, I sent a check for her birthday and it never was even CASHED!) I have always wondered WHAT the hell is wrong with The Brother and his wife and I still do to this day. They are such social SLOBS.

The way I look at it: if someone spends the amount of time to pick out a gift for you, spend their money, and get it to you, you have an OBLIGATION to spend three minutes writing a thank you note. Why aren't people being taught this very simple social grace?

5 comments:

  1. I have to side with you there, although my aunt takes it to the extreme. I LIVE WITH HER and she expects thank you notes, not just on the table waiting for her, but MAILED to her.
    I agree, though, that if a person takes the time to pick out the perfect give, one should most definitely reciprocate with a written thank you note.
    My kids will. (Won't they?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course they will! I would expect nothing less from them. And they will do it with no reminding on your part--just as my girls did! LOL!

    (And yes, your aunt is just a little extreme.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh.. I'm crap at remembering to send thank you notes..

    Feel free to pelt me with olives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother instilled in us kids the importance of thank you notes too. I have done the same with my daughter and happily she is very good about it.

    I remember years ago when I was married, I sent some money to my best girlfriend for her wedding gift. I think it was for $50 which back in 1978 was a very nice gift. I never got a thank you note which made me think that she never got the money. I lived far away from her and couldn't attend the wedding. About a year later I finally got to visit with her and shyly asked her if she did get my card and money (I was more concerned whether she got it)and she told me oh yes and thank you! I changed the subject then but inside I was a bit perturbed. I wonder if schools ever teach kids about etiquette? If parents don't teach their kids to do this, I doubt that the kids will ever do it on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Burg: 100 lashes with a wet noodle there, girl!!! FOR SHAME!! ;D

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...