Friday, December 14, 2007

What's In A Name

With the influx of European players in the NHL, it is always fun to get to see the way names are spelled after hearing them pronounced by the announcers. For the most part, they do pretty well, but sometimes they just completely miss. At least half of the time I want to SCREAM whenever I hear the way a Finnish name is pronounced--they usually get it wrong. For example, most cannot pronounce my boy's name, Filppula. They want to say 'fill-POOL-a' when it is pronounced 'FILL-pull-a'. (He let the Detroit announcers know the CORRECT way to say it--and they have remembered pretty well.) (I don't even want to TRY and explain how the Red Wing coach butchers the name--the man has no clue!) There are, of course, names from Russia, Slovakia, the Czech Republic, and all over Europe, so it can be a bit confusing. There DO happen to be quite a few names that would make one say, "I would like to buy a vowel!" Those are very much fun.

Frankly, I find the French-Canadian names the most confusing. There is a goalie whose name is spelled Huet. And it is pronounced 'oo-ay'. Excuse me? Then, of course, you have the last name of Roy. French-Canadians say 'wah'. Fine, I can get used to that, but THEN along comes a guy with the SAME name--at least the same spelling--and pronounces it 'roy'! It is just too far beyond my comprehension. :)

And they say watching sports is a mindless activity! :D

4 comments:

  1. Hockey definitely keeps you on your language toes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suddenly my name seems overly easy to pronounce. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it would be so nice if EVERYONE followed the same language rules, hey? :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...