Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Happy Day

funny pictures
moar funny pictures



Two weeks ago I had an appointment with my doctor for a physical--just routine. Of course, he wound up finding a problem. While checking my carotid artery, he heard what is called a 'bruit'--an unusual sound that indicates a possible blockage. This led me to having an ultrasound done last week, with a follow-up appointment for the end of the month. HAH!! Two days after the ultrasound, I got the call that he wants to see me ASAP and not later. Well, I have been a wreck for the past several days--it didn't help that I Googled carotid artery disease--thinking all kinds of bad things. So, I went to see the doctor today and it turns out that the news wasn't as bad as it could have been. I have the beginnings of plaque build-up in my carotid--nothing too terrible--and he wants to keep it from getting any worse. This means I will have to begin cholesterol meds to try and counteract anything that is going on. All of this is preventative, as I have a horrendous family history of heart trouble--combine that with the fact that I am of Finnish heritage (Finns have a lot of heart disease) and I am at very high risk for things to go wrong. I am lucky to have the doctor I have, as he is very conscientious when it comes to my health and he believes in a 'hands-on' approach to keeping things from going bad. I am one relieved woman and happy that things aren't worse. A good day all around.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:39 AM

    Glad to hear you have a caring Dr. I watch the Yooperboy for that problem as that is what caused his Dad's stroke-you Finns! Also had to laugh when I read your Christmas list-took me 10 years to teach B. that I wanted it to say '14 Karat' not 'Black and Decker'!
    Do what your Dr. says! Stay healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like you said... thankfully its in the stage where you can DEAL with it all...

    whew.


    (ps...you really LOVE that cat site!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yoopergirl: Yeah, we Finns sure do have a LOT to be happy about when it comes to health problems--diabetes, heart, alcoholism... :)

    meleah: Kind of a scary thing and, yes, it is VERY good that it was caught early on.

    I DO love I Can Has Cheezburger, but cats AREN'T the only animals represented--just MOSTLY cats! :D I also thought the 'dance of joy' was pretty appropriate. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HA! I'm loving the cat and the phrase!! And that's good news, girl. Always good to have faith in your Dr. I love mine, too.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...