Friday, August 11, 2006

FYI

Facts about psoriasis
According to the National Institutes of Health, as many as 7.5 million Americans have psoriasis—a chronic, noncontagious skin disease that causes itchy, painful, red patches. It's a common disease that can develop in anyone, regardless of age, gender or race. It can affect nearly every aspect of a person's life.

During Psoriasis Awareness Month in August, and throughout the year, the National Psoriasis Foundation educates others about the disease. Psoriasis isn't contagious, but awareness is!

Psoriasis is not contagious.
People with psoriasis often face discrimination and embarassment in public places. They're turned away from hair salons, swimming pools, health clubs, clothing stores and restaurants, simply because others fear psoriasis is contagious. It's not. You can't catch psoriasis from someone else. Psoriasis lesions are not infectious and pose no threat to the health or safety of others.

Psoriasis is not a rash.
Some people think psoriasis is a cosmetic problem. In fact, psoriasis is a genetic disease that starts beneath the skin's surface. The immune system sends faulty signals to speed up skin cell growth, causing thickened, scaly lesions on the skin.

Ten percent to 30 percent of people with psoriasis also develop psoriatic arthritis.
Psoriatic arthritis is a potentially disabling condition that causes pain, stiffness and swelling in and around the joints. People with psoriatic arthritis may have difficulty sleeping, using their hands, or walking, sitting and standing for long periods of time. Just getting through the day can be an uphill battle.

Psoriasis carries a serious physical and emotional burden.
According to researchers, psoriasis causes as much disability as other major diseases, including cancer, arthritis, hypertension, heart disease, diabetes and depression.

The emotional toll of psoriasis can be just as much of a burden as the physical aspects. People with the disease may feel hopeless, helpless, depressed and isolated.

There is no cure for psoriasis, but there are effective treatments.
Over the past several years, many new treatments have been developed for psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis. But some people give up on treatment because of cost, hassle or a feeling of hopelessness.

Psoriasis is a lifelong disease, with alternating periods of flareups and clearing. People with psoriasis often face a lifetime of trial and error to find a treatment that works.


On a personal note: I have had psoriasis since I was 18 years old. So far, most people would not know this by looking at me, as I am able to cover up most of my problem areas. I have a mild to moderate case of psoriasis and, as of right now, my disease is mostly of a cosmetic nature. I have not been diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis as of yet, but I think I am beginning to develop it and it is only a matter of time before it becomes a problem. I am hoping there will be a cure within my lifetime. I offer these facts as a way to educate people and, hopefully, keep one person from suffering any embarrassment because of a condition they cannot control.

3 comments:

  1. For more info go to www.psoriasis.org This is the website for the National Psoriasis Foundation--it has a lot of good information and most--if not all--of it is accessible to even non-members.

    ReplyDelete
  2. remember there is a cure for this. It's amazing but true. There are aryuvedic doctors in Sri Lanka I know of that did cure these with herbal medicine. I dodn't know how practical it is here..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:28 PM

    Excellent post! We will be linking to this great post on
    our website. Keep up the good writing.

    my web page: get views on youtube

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...