Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Just Ranting

I am going to be self-indulgent again and rant about The Family. This is just a warning to those who would rather not read my selfish goings-on.

One of The Nieces is getting married on 2 September and her bridal shower is this weekend. Naturally, I have been invited to said shower. I will be expected to give a gift for this, as well as for the wedding. Ordinarily, I have no problem with giving gifts and I usually go above and beyond the call of duty when it comes to purchasing special gifts. This would be the time for me to give very special gifts. Except...

My youngest just got married and had a celebration party 'back home' (where The Niece lives, will be married, and will live after she is married) two weeks ago. A and her husband got some nice gifts and a nice amount of money as gifts--just as they should have! This was a party for, mainly, relatives and I have given THEIR kids gifts for years and it was time for them to give something to one of mine. And they came through nicely, EXCEPT...The Brother, his wife, their THREE adult, working daughters, one fiance of one of the daughters, and their school-aged daughter, all gave ONE card and ONE check totaling $50. Six working adults came up with $50 for The Brother's ONLY sibling's child--and all but the fiance live in the same house. I feel as if this was a slap in my face--this amounted to less than $10 per person--and don't forget: THIS IS FOR A VERY CLOSE RELATIVE!!! My husband and I give AT LEAST $25 (usually more for a close relative) for a graduation gift--and we are a single-income household! To top it all off, our closet friends gave A and her husband that same amount of money as a present, but THEY ALSO GAVE HER A SEPARATE GIFT! And these people are not relatives!

Now, my question is: Was this a slap in the face? Do I have a right to be hurt? (I only know about this because A, very sheepishly, told me about it while we were talking. I had asked her, point-blank, what they had given her. And, she was hurt.) Is this a 'tit-for-tat' situation? I know I can't get away with NOT giving gifts for this wedding, but do I just give a token gift and be done with it? I really am leaning towards the 'give a gift, but nothing too special and DEFINITELY not expensive' idea. Anyone with any ideas? (And, yes, I know there is the 'taking the higher road' way of being, but with The Family I am too tired to do that anymore--it doesn't work and it is just plain exhausting.)

4 comments:

  1. I'd do the token-not-too-special gift. (Pez comes to mind)

    Actually, I'd do no gift just to be an asshole, but I have always gotten the feeling that you're much nicer than I am! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being nicer, I don't think so. Being more bogged down by guilt, definitely. I AM going to go with the not-too-special gift. I ACTUALLY had thought that I would go out and spend a shitload of money to make them feel foolish, but then I realized it wouldn't matter--these people are INCAPABLE of having normal feelings. They are too self-absorbed to even care what is going on with someone else. At least it will all be over with in less than one month. And we got the wedding invite today--yay. (And by the way, I'm going to try my hardest to keep you from EVER getting mad at me. PEZ!! You kill me!! :D)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh you're making me think after 5 pm. lol hmmmmmmm....

    I think a give a gift idea is best suited for this dilemma. I think Red had a good idea but I'd give 2 Pez's. heh Just to show them a thing or two.

    Dazd

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks all...I will be getting an appropriate, but smallish-type gift for both the wedding and shower. Not sure what I will be doing for the wedding, but for the shower it will be a set of kitchen towels and hot pads--very nice and appropriate. As I said, ANY kind of subtle dig is completely lost on these people and anything blatant just proves what an absolute bitch I am, so I'll just be classy. Besides, I AM boycotting both the shower and wedding, so that is good enough! :)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...