Saturday, June 23, 2007

They Said WHAT?

I know I have mentioned the fact that the youngest daughter works at a vet clinic--actually, TWO vet clinics--before. While we were talking tonight we got into some of the strangest, stupidest, and craziest things she encounters people saying and doing. So I just HAD to share some of them.

At one of the clinics, people are required to fill out some paperwork when they come in as new clients. This is the requisite health history, etc, of the animal, plus some other questions that are helpful to the vet. At the bottom of the form, they used to have a line graph labeled from 0% to 100% in increments of 25--0, 25, 50, etc. The question was, "Approximately, how much time does your animal spend outside?" Most people would circle one of the numbers. One person put a circle between the 25 and 50 and inside the circle wrote '44%.' Now, HOW do you figure something so closely? Is this a sign of OCD or was the person just completely anal? They no longer ask the question.

Today YD answered the phone and talked to the woman on the other end. The woman was asking if she could bring her dog in for a 'distemperment' shot because it has been quite moody lately. She was hoping this would mellow him out a bit. I guess a LOT of people seem to think that distemper has something to do with the way an animal acts (its moods) and are not aware it is an actual disease.

And the one that REALLY made me laugh. A client told the vet that his dog was not in any need of flea or heart worm prevention--or anything else. They had a fenced-in yard, so the dog was completely protected. I guess they must have lived in a plastic bubble, because how else do you keep fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes out of your yard?

People--you gotta love 'em.

4 comments:

  1. That's funny about the 44% and the distemperment shot!

    I have an appt. to take me dog to a new vet on Monday morning. I haven't been very pleased with the one I have taken him to for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dog...not me dog! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow. I certainly hope those people don't have actual children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. cindi: Yeah, people sure are funny! Hope the new vet works out for you.

    burg: I agree--it is frightening to think they might be raising clones of themselves!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...