Monday, June 25, 2007

As For Hockey...

Yes, I know, it is the middle of summer, but things STILL are going on in the world of hockey. And the big news is the signing--or NON-signing--of players.

The Red Wings have officially come out and said they will not offer contracts to Lang or Calder for the next year. While I wasn't quite as bad of a 'Lang hater' as some were, I'm not crying over the fact that he will no longer be wearing the winged wheel. He just didn't do enough last season--and I found myself (toward the end) cringing every time I saw his line come out onto the ice. Not good. So, he won't be around for Wings' fans to kick anymore. I AM sorry to see Calder go--I still think he has potential. Unfortunately, after his big splash right after he came to Detroit, his play went downhill. Too bad.

Right now the biggest thing that needs to be done is negotiate salaries. While Hasek said he is coming back, his pay hasn't been agreed on. I KNOW he will ask for a raise, but I don't know how many other teams would be willing to take him at a much higher salary--he has to watch what he asks for. The Wings would like to have Bertuzzi, Markov, and Schneider back, but at the (alleged) asking prices, I don't think all of them will be playing for Detroit next year. Damn salary cap! :) It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...