Thursday, June 21, 2007

ALMOST The Land Of The Midnight Sun

It never really occurred to me that other parts of the country had shorter days than we do during the summer. A lot of people come from other parts of the US to help when there is a problem at K's work and they have made comments about our long summer days. (Of course, they ALSO talk about our winter snow, but that isn't surprising.) So, today is the first day of summer and our longest day.

Today, the sun rose at 5:58am and will set at 9:47pm--that means a total of more than 16 hours of daylight! Actually, it starts getting light by 5:30 in the morning and stays pretty light till almost 10:30--kind of hard on people who can't sleep unless it is totally dark! It REALLY was hell to go and see drive-in movies (when we still had drive-ins) because they started so late. The movies wouldn't be done till 3:00am or later!

Of course, we do have the flip side of all of this--winter. Beginning in November and lasting till February (?--not really sure on the duration), K wakes up for day shift in the dark and comes home from work in the dark. He only gets to see daylight during his days off or if he leaves the plant during a workday. I think he has more problems with THAT than he does with trying to sleep while it is light outside.

So, I wanted to know how long the days are where my readers live? Leave comments and we can compare! :)

2 comments:

  1. The days are long. And hot. Humid too. Did I mention they were hot? I don't even think hours hang around when it's this frickin' hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness it cooled off here after the hail storm--it is only 61 degrees out there now. Hopefully, we won't have another heat spell!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...