Thursday, June 21, 2007

A Little Recipe

So many of the bloggers that I read post recipes, I finally decided to post one of my own. This is an old Finnish recipe--I remember my great-grandmother (as well as others) making this. For my family, I would make this on those evenings (usually Sunday) when we would do 'breakfast for dinner.' I usually served this with some kind of breakfast meat--bacon, sausage, etc.

Finnish Oven Pancake (pannu kakku)

2 eggs (slightly beaten)
2 tablespoons sugar
2 cups milk*
1 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt

Put 1/4 cup butter* in 9 x 13 pan--place pan in oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. (Don't let butter burn.) Remove pan when butter is melted.

Meanwhile, mix eggs, sugar, milk, flour, and salt together. I use a wire whisk and beat till blended. (There may be some flour lumps--doesn't matter.) Pour batter into pan. Bake for 40 minutes. (No need to open oven to check on it.) It should be golden to dark brown.

Immediately upon removing from oven, sprinkle top with sugar.

This is somewhat of a custardy thing. (I don't know how else to describe it.) While it is baking, it will raise quite high and then will collapse almost immediately after coming out of the oven. I like to eat it while it is hot, just as is. (It also isn't too bad cold.) Some people put syrup or jam on it. It is good as a light meal or as a snack.

And, if anyone tries this, let me know how you like it. As I said, it is one of the recipes I have from 'the old country.'

*I have made this with margarine and skim milk and it still works out. However, it IS best when made with whole milk and real butter--much richer tasting.

2 comments:

  1. I want to try this one.. I'll let you know when.

    Keep postin' recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do try it. It is so hard to explain what this is without making it sound disgusting--but, trust me, it IS good. :)

    I definitely am not a gourmet cook, or even that good of a cook, but I will post things that I think might be interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...