Monday, June 25, 2007

And We DO Live In A City!

The other morning I looked out the back window and I saw not 1, not 2, but 13 ducks! I think they were all from the same family--a male and female were off from the rest of the flock, just keeping watch. Of course, they all looked to be the same size, but it IS that late in the season, so the babies would be as big as mama and papa by now. We haven't had that many ducks in the yard at one time before. It really was kind of cool.

Here is a picture of the ducks I think are mama and papa--you can see them right at the bottom:




And here are all of the 'babies':



If you look real closely, you can count 12--one of the parents made it into this pic.

The ducks just wandered around the back yard for about a half hour and then a little at a time, they all just flew away.

3 comments:

  1. Cool! I don't even think I've seen a duck in my back yard! ~ jb///

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool! I've never had that happen and I live close to a lake where there are always ducks waddling around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I should do a little more explaining. A lot of building/construction has gone on around us since the day we moved to this house. As a matter of fact, the cross street near us was a dead end when we moved in--it now is a major north/south road in the city. So at some point, the DNR--or whoever--decided that the 'wetlands' (I call them swamps) that used to be around needed to be restored. Two swampy ponds were built in our area and they have become a home for mallards--as well as red-winged blackbirds and ESPECIALLY mosquitoes. It is not unusual to look out the front window and see a pair of ducks walking down the middle of the street to go and eat corn at our neighbor's. (They feed all of the local wildlife.) So, while it isn't unusual for us to see ducks in our neighborhood, it IS unusual to see so many at one time. And yes, it WAS cool!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...