Tuesday, January 01, 2008

First Thoughts

C saw her doctor yesterday and she is 'closed up tight.' :) The only way that baby is going to be born is for them to go in and get her on Thursday, so... Poor girl. But, the end of the road is in sight now, so she should be feeling better. (This info is from my youngest--haven't talked to C for a couple of days.)

**********

I get to go for my annual poke and prod with my GYN tomorrow. I am so excited I could just spit. (HEAVY sarcasm there.) I REALLY love having to pay someone to feel me up. (MORE sarcasm.) If I didn't love the doctor as much as I do, this would be absolute torture. Oh, well, I know I will have a good geeky conversation at least once a year when I see him.

**********

I'm getting so many weather alerts that it is hard to do anything on this damn machine. We are under a heavy lake effect snow and blowing snow advisory. That's fine, except it isn't supposed to be affecting us here next to the lake. About 5 miles up the road from us, 6-9 inches are supposed to fall. That's okay, as long as we are fine here!

**********

The Pittsburgh Penguins and the Buffalo Sabres are playing today. Now that isn't too big of a deal except for the fact they are playing outside, on an outdoor rink, in the middle of a football field. Kind of crazy, especially considering the weather. So far today they have had rain/sleet and it now is snowing so hard that it looks like a late-season football game!

I keep trying to watch the game, but every time I put it on the announcers say "Sidney Crosby," so I have to go to another channel. I am SO DAMN SICK of hearing his name. It is as if he is the second coming of Christ. Actually, I am waiting for them to say he can walk on water--after all, he can do everything else! Don't you know, he can help the Penguins score goals even when he ISN'T on the ice! (I've actually heard an announcer say that.) Now, I don't mind the kid--and I guess he has talent, even though he doesn't impress me. I just really hate having him shoved in my face ALL. OF. THE. TIME. I would feel badly for him (he is only 20, after all) with all of the pressure that is on him (he IS being called the 'new face of the NHL'), except for the fact that he is making more money than God and wouldn't have to worry about working a day in his life if his career ended today. So, it works both ways: the NHL is exploiting him and he is laughing all the way to the bank.

**********

The Wings had their road trip hangover and lost 2-0 to St. Louis last night. (That first game at home after a road trip is really hard on the players.) The score doesn't REALLY explain the game, though. The first goal didn't come until the third period and the second was an empty-netter a couple of minutes before the end, so... Oh, well, they can redeem themselves on Wednesday when Dallas comes to town.

All three injured players skated yesterday, so it's looking good. Maltby won't be in the lineup for a while--he has to get back into shape cause he's been out so long. Homer still won't be back for a couple of weeks--considering this is the second injury to his knee this year, it is for the best. Z MIGHT be back on Wednesday already. An MRI of his back didn't show the same problem he had with the disc last year--THANK GOODNESS--so he doesn't need as much time off. It'll be VERY good to see him back on the ice. The only problem is, Baby Boy will probably lose some ice time and probably won't be playing with Datsyuk for a while. Damn.

**********

An Announcement: I have NOT taken my Christmas decorations down.

I think I waited long enough for those who know me to pick themselves up off of the floor after reading that. :) I really have no idea WHY I haven't gotten the house back in order--I'm still trying to figure it out. I should start on things today, but if it doesn't get done for a few more days, oh well. (My goodness, am I ACTUALLY starting to MELLOW?!?!?!?!?!)

**********

I am really loving having the TV in the computer room. And it ISN'T because there is so much for me to watch! Somehow or another, I am getting a bunch of digital channels on this set--most of them are the digital music channels from our cable company. I find myself LISTENING to the TV much more than WATCHING it. EVERY genre is represented on these channels. I like the solid gold oldies--very easy to sing along to, even though a lot of the songs were before my time. (I DO hate the fact that so much of what I listened to growing up is considered 'solid gold oldies.' :)) Right now I'm enjoying the blues channel--nice and mellow. I just may expand my musical taste--who knows.

**********

Again with the Winter Classic hockey game. The Wings' coach was asked his opinion about the game and said he would LOVE to have the Wings' participate in a similar game. Today's game is only the second outdoor game in NHL history--the first was in 2003 in Edmonton. 73,000 fans were expected at the game today (just a couple of thousand less than the 74,544 best-attended hockey game ever at Spartan Stadium, here in Michigan)--it is being called more of an 'event' than a game. It might happen here in Michigan--after all, if you want to play in crappy weather, you can't find a better place! :)

Snowman

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:21 AM

    Damn. I feel sooooo badly for "C" That really stinks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks about C. I saw the outdoor game- It was snowing its you know what off. I don't think we'll get any snow this year...that'll be the third year in a row with no dusting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year! (Are we supposed to have our decorations down? LOL)

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...