Monday, January 28, 2008

So I Am Back

Just because the NHL was on break, that didn't mean I had to be on break also! And I never meant to be away this long, but I have been going through a funky time of it. Nothing that I can put my finger on, just one of those periods that I go through at times. Oh, well, such is my life. And life goes on.

**********

Today we had temps in the forties. I'm not sure if we broke any records, but it still was nice to have the January thaw. But, of course, this is not lasting very long. Tomorrow should still be on the warm side with temps in the mid to upper 30s, but then we are getting an arctic cold front coming through and temps should drop 30 degrees for Wednesday. Such fun. Looks like we will be getting snow, also. Not surprising--this is winter after all.

**********

K is prepping himself for his colonoscopy tomorrow. While this doesn't inconvenience me at all--well, except for the fact I have to bring him to the hospital and spend the day there--I do find it very difficult to eat meals while he can't. I hate to make anything that he might want because he has been on liquids all day and can't eat anything but clear liquids for the rest of the night. I know how hard it is whenever I have to do fasting for lab work and I don't want to make it any harder for him than it is. I have to figure out something for tomorrow night--hopefully he will be able to eat dinner.

**********

We did our road trip on Friday and came home Saturday. We mainly went to help our friend celebrate her Saturday birthday, so the visit was nice. There wasn't all that much shopping that needed to be done, so we didn't even go to many of our usual stores. That was all well and good--I just needed a bit of a break and this was a nice one. The only thing that really tainted our trip was K's phone call from work. He was forced to get back into town early as he had to work overtime on Saturday. He was scheduled to work 6AM to 6PM on Sunday, but he was forced to go in at midnight on Saturday--an 18 hour shift after having to drive home from out of town. The only way he could have avoided the overtime is if I wouldn't have answered the phone--but I just answered without looking at the caller ID. I really was mad at myself for that one. He's done 18s before, but I felt bad that this one was because of my mistake.

**********

I watched the All-Star activities on Saturday and Sunday and wasn't overly impressed. In a way I could see what they were trying to do, but the execution of it wasn't quite as great as the concept. Maybe with a little tweaking, things could become better. As for the All-Star game, it didn't do much for me. It was very hard for me to keep the players sorted out and the announcers didn't help all that much--and I watched CBC and NOT Versus! Maybe it was just me, I don't know. I don't really enjoy the way the All-Star game is played--it is just end-to-end skating and a lot of scoring. I enjoy the subtleties of a real game and the hits--something that wasn't allowed in Sunday's game. While I understand WHY there is no hitting in the game, it just isn't REAL hockey to me. The high-scoring game is what the league wants in order to try to get non-fans interested, but it doesn't appeal to me--I would rather see a well-played game that ends in a 2-1 score.

**********

Even though half of the season's games were played a week before the All-Star break, this was the unofficial end of the first half. Things will really start to heat up now through April--and, of course, REALLY get going once the play-offs start. Rumors are really beginning as to the trades that might be made--and it will only be getting worse till 26 February when the trade deadline is. Will really be interesting to see who goes where and how this will impact the play-offs. And to add to things, Selanne has just announced he is going to make his come-back with the Ducks for the last half of the season. I guess the Ducks just MIGHT come close to what they were last year. I REALLY don't need to see Detroit and Anaheim meet in the play-offs again!

**********

And Jimmy Page says that Led Zepplin just might go on tour later this year. While there isn't anything officially in the works, the tour might happen some time after September when all the band members will be free from other obligations. Might be interesting to see, except for the fact that the years haven't been too kind to Robert Plant. He is kind of scary these days.

Robert Plant: early years



Robert Plant: today



6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:17 PM

    I bitch and complain when I have to skip breakfast for a blood test, I can't imagine going 24 hours without food, even chicken broth wouldn't cut it for me. Hope everything's OK with K.

    Robert Plant looks like one of those guys you tease your girlfriends about-"Look, that's your boyfriend!".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I SO hear you about the fasting before blood work--the thoughts of not being able to eat anything after midnight just kills me, so the 24 hour thing is VERY bad. K just told me he REALLY could use a sandwich right about now--poor baby!

    Yeah, Plant looks like ten miles of bad road, doesn't he? I guess that's what all that hard living will do to a person--all those stories about Led Zepplin MUST be true. And to think he was once considered a 'rock god!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:25 AM

    Before my doctor started sending me to a lab for blood work, I'd show up at her office at 10 am-supposedly the first appointment-and it'd be almost noon before I got out of there. I always brought orange juice to drink after the blood drawing. I'm a little hypoglycemic and not eating really affects me.

    I never thought Robert Plant was attractive. Peter Frampton was more attractive, and he lives not too far from my area now! Except he's cut his hair really short and of course looks older now. It's depressing how the cuties we swooned over are looking like grandpas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous10:49 AM

    Jimmy Page? Robert Plant?Led Zeppelin?

    I dont care HOW old they are...I would KILL to see THEM in concert.



    WELCOME BACK :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. jan: K just gave me the the old fish-eyed look this morning when I mentioned how John Grisham has aged--we saw him on one of the morning news shows. K asked me if I actually think WE haven't aged at all! I told him I know that I look the same. :D

    meleah: I know what you mean. I almost cried when I got to see Clapton last year in concert! Believe me, I will do anything to see him the next time he tours! I do believe K and I just might have to get to a Zeppelin concert if they tour--I know K wouldn't object. :) Can you imagine how amazing it would be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was switching channels on tv recently and stopped on VH1. I hadn't watched any current music videos in a very long time. Anyway, I was totally floored to see Robert Plant and Alison Krauss singing a duet! Since then, I have found out they are touring together right now. Have you seen that video of them singing? Such an unlikely pair.

    I would LOVE to see Led Zeppelin in concert.

    Oh...and Janet...you are so lucky to live near Peter Frampton. I had such a crush on him when I was a teenager. I saw him in a recent Geico commercial. Funny!

    ReplyDelete

Disquis

Being In a Funk

I'm still having a bit of a funk going on in my life. To be expected, I guess. But, it REALLY is affecting me to see my best friend ...